Chick abandoned by hen

marieieie

Hatching
Oct 6, 2022
Hi everyone,
One of our hens had a clutch of eggs recently but she abandoned them after only one hatched, leaving the rest of the eggs to go cold. I heard some weak cheeping from one and brought it inside to keep warm since we had no other brooding hens at the time and she wouldnt take it back as she was already running around with her chick. The egg has hatched since and after keeping it inside for one night to make sure it would live, I placed it under a hen who was sitting on some eggs. I went to check multiple times during the day and it was fine but I looked again when I went to feed them and the chick was lying by itself, it had gone cold but not dead so we warmed it up inside and it actually survived. We have a heat pad in a box with some cloths that its sleeping in right now since there are no hens to take it on, but it so far hasnt been eating anything and we've had to make it drink with a medicine syringe. I'm currently giving it a mollasses and water mix but i know that wont work for long. I've also tried showing it how to eat by tapping my finger onto the ground near some food but it kind of just bumps its closed beak against it and then goes back to sleep. The chick is about 3 days old and I think it has spraddle leg so I've tried doing the tape method to keep its legs together to see if they'll come better? For a few minutes it was breating heavily and making a clicking noise but it calmed down quickly after, is this something I should be worrying about? If anyone has any advice on what we should do with the baby it would be gladly appreciated!

Welcome to BYC, so sorry about the chick. It sounds like you’ll have to care for it yourself. I’ve been there too. I also had one with leg issues and I wasn’t able to straighten it, tho many have had success. I wonder if the hens abandoned it because it was handicapped.
Do your best and see what happens, and keep us updated. Good luck 🤞🏻!!!!

Welcome to BYC, so sorry about the chick. It sounds like you’ll have to care for it yourself. I’ve been there too. I also had one with leg issues and I wasn’t able to straighten it, tho many have had success. I wonder if the hens abandoned it because it was handicapped.
Do your best and see what happens, and keep us updated. Good luck 🤞🏻!!!!
Thank you!
I'm about to sleep but I have a few alarms set so I can check it throughout the night, I'll be sure to let people know what happens :)

I would put him/her in a brooder. Get a little area set up ( It would be a baby pool, bin, or sectioned-off area. ) and add a heat plate or lamp you can get from tractor supply. Add pine shavings and some chick starter and a little bowl or chick waterer with warm water added to it and keep him/her inside. Good luck! Make sure to do more research if you need any other extra info 😁 He/she sounds like he's/she's weak and possibly sick, so make sure to get him/her chick starter feed quickly

I
Hi everyone,
One of our hens had a clutch of eggs recently but she abandoned them after only one hatched, leaving the rest of the eggs to go cold. I heard some weak cheeping from one and brought it inside to keep warm since we had no other brooding hens at the time and she wouldnt take it back as she was already running around with her chick. The egg has hatched since and after keeping it inside for one night to make sure it would live, I placed it under a hen who was sitting on some eggs. I went to check multiple times during the day and it was fine but I looked again when I went to feed them and the chick was lying by itself, it had gone cold but not dead so we warmed it up inside and it actually survived. We have a heat pad in a box with some cloths that its sleeping in right now since there are no hens to take it on, but it so far hasnt been eating anything and we've had to make it drink with a medicine syringe. I'm currently giving it a mollasses and water mix but i know that wont work for long. I've also tried showing it how to eat by tapping my finger onto the ground near some food but it kind of just bumps its closed beak against it and then goes back to sleep. The chick is about 3 days old and I think it has spraddle leg so I've tried doing the tape method to keep its legs together to see if they'll come better? For a few minutes it was breating heavily and making a clicking noise but it calmed down quickly after, is this something I should be worrying about? If anyone has any advice on what we should do with the baby it would be gladly appreciated!
I just woke up and found out that ufortunately it didn't make it. He passed while my parents were holding him so at least he wasn't alone and hopefully knew he was loved. Thank you for the help :)

I

I just woke up and found out that ufortunately it didn't make it. He passed while my parents were holding him so at least he wasn't alone and hopefully knew he was loved. Thank you for the help :)
Aww, so sorry to hear. :hugs You did what you could.
I hope you will keep posting on BYC now that you are a member.…

Back
Top Bottom