Chick acting strange

Yes! That is a good idea! I totally forgot to tell you that. Once I tried this on a tired chick, and she was up and at em with the next few hours. :D

Good luck! Hope the little chicky gets better

Thank you both. I did give it to her, she seemed to like it and so far she hasn't gotten worse. I really hope she keeps of a fight because if I lose her my little brother, who named her, will be heartbroken.

I belive she will be fine last time I raised chicks we had three that weren't active and we gave them sugar water and electrolytes and they were fine

I'm worried now, Pip (the chick acting strange) is now sleeping almost all day and when she walks looks very weak and tired. I forced her beak into the water and after that she drank some, checked for pasty butt, she had none. She is barely playing around with the others and when she does she stops after a couple of steps to rest. I picked her up and she felt limp and small, not sure what I should do. I think I read some where that you should feed the chick sugar water if it is stressed or lethargic?

I had one doing that last week from the feed store. I mixed sugar and Gatorade in the water and mixed water into thefood and let her sit in my hand and eat a couple times after a day she was all good... Prayers for pip!!

I just lost a feather footed chick today and belive it was not getting the correct amount of electrolytes. I hope yours is doing ok. I am a tough girl who (due to career ) can see bad things happen to people all the time and walk away without batting an eye but if something happens to one of my chickens I cry like a baby haha so I know how hard it is to see them struggling. Hope everything turns out ok.

Okay, pip seemed better this morning. She was limping and sleeping on her side though so I examined her legs and one of them is red/purple up the leg and on the foot (which looks slightly swollen). I think its bumble foot
1f641.png
. I'm reading up on what to do since this is the first time I've had a bird with bumble foot. Any advice would be appreciated!!

Last edited:
Looking at it again I don't think its as bad as bumble foot, just an infection or does it look like a sprain/pull? There are no signs of a cut. We are soaking her foot in water with iodine and Epsom salts at the moment, what else should we do?

Last edited:
I think that her foot is injured since it is bruised, and she may have a sprain. You need to dip her beak into electrolyte water several times an hour all day long, since she sounds very stressed from shipping or the feed store. We never know how much stress they have gone through try ing to get water and food, or being chilled or roughly handled.

Back
Top Bottom