Chick acting strange

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
One of my new bantam chicks seems very lethargic I think? It's falling asleep standing up, when it drink's it almost seems like it's having a hard time swallowing. And it's very clumsy, falling and walking wabbly, please help if you know what could be wrong with it.

Do you have any VetRx or electrolytes? Is it warm or cold? What's your set up? What does the poop look like? @sylviethecochin

20180319_232332-1.jpg

I think the poop is white and wet, but I'm not sure. Everyone else's poop is solid and brown. And no I don't have any vetrx or elctrolytes

Do you have any VetRx or electrolytes? Is it warm or cold? What's your set up? What does the poop look like? @sylviethecochin

Er...I'm flattered, but I'm not really an expert on chick diseases at all. I just regurgitate what I read in the hours of free time I have when I should be sleeping.

That said, balance problems sound like they could be a good many things,

Do you have any other chicks acting like this at all? Does this chick seem to be in any distress?

Vitamins are really essential. You can supplement with low-iron poly-vi-sol for babies, or with a poultry nutrient, whatever is easier for you to get. If you don't have either of those handy, a vitamin B complex tablet ground up and added to the water is a great thing to supply. You don't have to worry about overdosing, as chicks just get rid of the excess in their poop.

Okay, just read your post. White poop = pee. Also can equal salmonella pullorem (I think I spelled that right. Been a while since I researched it. I'll get back to you.)

electrolyte recipe:
2 tbsps corn syrup or sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 quart water.
It really helps them control their bowel movements and I highly recommend it.

Er...I'm flattered, but I'm not really an expert on chick diseases at all. I just regurgitate what I read in the hours of free time I have when I should be sleeping.

That said, balance problems sound like they could be a good many things,

Do you have any other chicks acting like this at all? Does this chick seem to be in any distress?

Vitamins are really essential. You can supplement with low-iron poly-vi-sol for babies, or with a poultry nutrient, whatever is easier for you to get. If you don't have either of those handy, a vitamin B complex tablet ground up and added to the water is a great thing to supply. You don't have to worry about overdosing, as chicks just get rid of the excess in their poop.

Okay, just read your post. White poop = pee. Also can equal salmonella pullorem (I think I spelled that right. Been a while since I researched it. I'll get back to you.)

electrolyte recipe:
2 tbsps corn syrup or sugar
1 pinch salt
1 tsp baking soda
2 quart water.
It really helps them control their bowel movements and I highly recommend it.

This is the only chick showing any of the symptoms. In distress.. I'm not sure what a chick in distress look's like? So I can't answer that.. and how do I give the chick the electrolyte solution? Do I just put in the regular was dish or drip feed it onto the chick's mouth? And how often do I do that

Salmonella Pullorem is a vertically and horizontally transmitted disease, and often causes death in chicks less than three weeks of age. Since it's vertical, you should not have gotten it form anyone who's NPIP certified or a hatchery, so it's unlikely to be the cause.

But just in case, the symptoms are:
Strain and peeping when passing poop
fluffing
huddling near the heat lamp
Lack of appetite.

As for getting the chick to drink--just dip its beak. You can kill them by force-feeding them.

Also, coccidiosis. This one is a very common cause of death in chicks in dirty brooders or that have been shipped long distances. They get it by eating poop.

Medicated feed prevents it, Corid cures it. The article describes it better than I could. Blood in the poop is not an essential sign for diagnosis. Coccidiosis is common without that symptom.

I'm inclined to guess that your chick was stressed by shipping and already had a weak constitution. In that case, electrolytes, vitamins, and hope are pretty much all you can do.

Good luck and I hope s/he makes it.

EDT: And a chick in distress is often peeping and fluffed up. Or its awake, but looks really, really tired. That's a sign of pain, just as it would be in a human with the flu. If he wants to be near the heat lamp, I'd help him stay there.

Also, coccidiosis. This one is a very common cause of death in chicks in dirty brooders or that have been shipped long distances. They get it by eating poop.

Medicated feed prevents it, Corid cures it. The article describes it better than I could. Blood in the poop is not an essential sign for diagnosis. Coccidiosis is common without that symptom.

I'm inclined to guess that your chick was stressed by shipping and already had a weak constitution. In that case, electrolytes, vitamins, and hope are pretty much all you can do.

Good luck and I hope s/he makes it.

Thank you this was a big help, also should I seperate her? Will this spread to the other chicks?

Back
Top Bottom