Chick beak deformity I cannot seem to find on google

Poultrina

In the Brooder
Sep 6, 2023
Hi all

I've just assisted a chick to hatch (which I normally never do). It's been a few days since the rest hatched and momma decided it's time to leave the nest. I could still hear a chick peeping in the last egg left behind so I decided to investigate.

I had to "pip" break the shell. The chick would never be able to even pip the shell. The upper mandible is much larger and wider than the bottom mandible and curved backwards. No skewness to the side. The bottom mandible and upper mandible fits perfectly together except for this "snout looking" upward top mandible. I have never seen something like this and cannot find anything remotely close to it on google.

Anyone know what to call this or why it could have happened? The chick is alive but I do not think it will be able to feed or drink properly.

Can you get a clear picture of the deformity?

The eggs came from your flock?

First thing to look at would be the parent bird's nutrition. Make sure they are getting a well balanced diet and limited treats.

Can you get a clear picture of the deformity?

The eggs came from your flock?
Yes it was from my own flock. My flock has been with me for more than 4 years and have hatched many chicks without any deformaties. This is a first for me. Im attaching an image. Hope it will help.

Attachments

• Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    133.8 KB · Views: 11
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 10
First thing to look at would be the parent bird's nutrition. Make sure they are getting a well balanced diet and limited treats.
My parent flock is eating super healthy and hatching healthy and strong chicks except for this one. I feed them twice a day with poultry mix bought from my local feed store plus I give them occasional fruit, veg and herb scraps and they also free range most of the day.

Yes it was from my own flock. My flock has been with me for more than 4 years and have hatched many chicks without any deformaties. This is a first for me. Im attaching an image. Hope it will help.
Poor thing.

Back
Top Bottom