chick behavior linked to early exposure?

Angela Burcham

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2017
I picked up 3 day old chicks from a hatchery, the rode in an open box for 2 hours, most of the time my hand was draped in the box. I stoked and cupped them. They are a month old now and not cuddly but don't seem to mind me touching and picking them up. I was told they were ameraucana they maybe Easter eggers.

I picked up second round of day old chicks 2 buff orpingtons and one wyandotte they rode home in a closed box. Now they run from my hand and literally scream if I pick them up. They've been this way since we got home and they are about 2 weeks old.

Could this difference be attributed to the hand in the box for the first three? Will the second three get calmer? Is it the difference in breeds?

I'm picking up new chicks this Friday and if it makes a difference I will have a hand on them going home.

Unless they came from Cackle or Meyer they are Easter Eggers, as those two are the only hatcheries with Ameraucanas (as far as the big hatcheries are concerned).

Some chicks just seem more skittish, and some more likely to approach. Often it is attributed to gender or breed, but I definitely see individual personalities as well.

I really think they are easter eggers which is fine with me. They came from a little hatchery in NC. Not s big commercial one but I don't know where che gets her eggs.

Not much, I'm more interested in how friendly they are and what I can do if anything to get the next batch to be friendly.

If I am not breeding or showing what would be the benefit of Ameraucanas over easter eggers?

There is no benefit really other than reliable egg color, since EEs can lay any color egg.

If you wanted to breed olive eggers using chocolate egg hens, then an Ameraucana or Cream Legbar male would be better than an EE male so that there is no doubt what color egg genes it carries.

I have a Lavender Ameraucana Anna that I just got a month ago, but I also have two EEs, and my EE Snakehead is one of my absolute favorite chickens. :love Although, Anna is a sweetheart and probably my friendliest large hen (I also have bantams).

I should add that I am not one to force or even bribe affection or interaction from my chickens. If one of my birds is friendly and likes to hang out and chat, or is a skittish spaz, it is because of their personality rather than anything I have done lol. I consider our interactions a little more genuine this way, and I hate having birds that beg or even nip for food.

Point well taken LOL If the younger ones don't want to be friends that will be fine. I just wish I could pick them up with out the hysterics. I thought that maybe the first ones imprinted on the way home. Next batch I'll treat like first just n case.

Sometimes they calm down on their own. I'm sure the first few weeks are full of a lot of very scary experiences and they have different ways of handling it. From what I've read on here, Orpingtons are very friendly so I do think they will calm down as they settle in.

Back
Top Bottom