Chick behavior

holsingerfamily

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Kentucky :)
Are these behaviors normal?
I have barred plymouth rock chicks(3) and they are 14 days old now

- stretching of the neck and lunging at one another(not pecking)
-doing the one above but dancing as they do it all around the cage(still no pecking)
- when I am holding them in my shirt covered up they stretch their neck up to me and open their mouth as if they want me to feed them a worm or something??

Its mostly the two lighter gray ones that are doing the dancing and fake fighting I guess you would call it that lol, its sooooo funny to watch. And the one that starts it the most is the runt.

They were born in incubators and no hens every laid on them. So I thought I would swaddle them to get use to us. I put one in their own shirt wrapped up with their head sticking out and they coo and fall asleep and then do the number three thing above.

They could just be preparing to determine pecking order in the brooder. I know they will occasionally stretch their necks and open their mouths for a few seconds..as if they are tasting the air or the temperature. My girls do it whenever they go from inside to outside or into a new location.

I would think if they are eating, drinking and acting normal that they are okay. Maybe someone has had the situation you described happen and can tell you more.

Oh yeah they are eating fine and drinking fine hehe and sleeping really good as well. Right now its also like they figured out they have wings and are flapping around a lot. Kind of like a baby and their toes hehe.

Those flapping things attached to the sides of their bodies are FASCINATING!
D.gif
gig.gif

Last edited:
What you're watching is the start of the pecking order. They'll stare each other down, bump chests, fly at each other, but no one gets hurt. It's completely normal.

I was glad to run across this thread today! I have two 6 week old hens still in the brooder doing this dance and I was beginning to think I had two roos! Now I'm stressing as to what will happen when I put them out with the older girls in a few weeks :|

Back
Top Bottom