Chick being bullied First timer here

Albertxy

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2020
  • Hello new to the chicken game. Long story short I rescued a bantam chicken that was wondering around the neighborhood. No one claimed it after asking all around. I ended up getting a baby New Hampshire chick she is now about 6 weeks old. She's the same size as the bantam which is maybe 1 year old or more.The bantam is laying eggs has been since I got her.

I have read that once chick is about 5-6 weeks old I can start to put her in with the other hens ( in this case just one) but the bantam hen is just a big bully always going after my new Hampshire chick pecking at her. The chick does nothing but try to run away. she doesn't defend herself or anything. My bantam hen gets mad and aggressive and won't stop cluking loud. So my question is..is it safe to leave the chick alone with the bantam even if they go at it well the bantam pretty much pea king and fighting the chick while the chick trys to run away and do nothing? Or what can I do? Im new to all this so see the poor chick get beat up is heart breaking. There's a photo of the bantam hen at this time I don't have one of my chick? I need help. I do have the chick inside in a large crate and I do take her outside every now and then to free range and the bantam stays outside all day and comes in at night only .

Attachments

Attachments

• 2020-03-31 10.02.35.jpg
    2020-03-31 10.02.35.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 15919291764229007516857549200647.jpg
    15919291764229007516857549200647.jpg
    309.3 KB · Views: 2
I think it is still too soon to keep them together and the chick could get hurt. Perhaps they can be together but separated with some fencing until the chick is a little older. Once she is larger, she probably could defend herself. The bantam looks like my 1 pound OEG and mine will pick on my large 7-8 pound hens if one acts weak or sick.

Seperate them but keep them within sight of each other. In a few days, put them together for a bit to see if she's changed her behaviour. If not, keep them seperated till your chick is bigger.

I think it is still too soon to keep them together and the chick could get hurt. Perhaps they can be together but separated with some fencing until the chick is a little older. Once she is larger, she probably could defend herself. The bantam looks like my 1 pound OEG and mine will pick on my large 7-8 pound hens if one acts weak or sick.
Thanks for the advice ...whats the idle week age to put the chick out with the bantam? I've attached a photo of the chick she's about the same size as the bantam but alot sweeter lol

Back
Top Bottom