Chick Binding ???

Cetawin

Rest in Peace 1963-2021
11 Years
Mar 20, 2008
NW Kentucky
Hello! I just brough my 6 girls home yesterday and have them settled in the brooder. My light brahma pullet is doing great but I have had to bath her butt twice already. She gets poo in her fuzz around the vent and everything gets hard around and over the vent. My questions...

Am I doing the right thing using warm water on a washcloth or Q-tip to clean it away?

Will this be an ongoing problem or will it straighten out in a day or so?

Will this cause her problems when she is an adult?

Note: all the other chicks are doing great and have not had this problem. I also checked each chick when I got them and no signs of this...I noticed it last night. She is eating, drinking and acting normal...any thoughts would greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
This is called "pasty butt" and is quite common. The only way it can cause serious damage is to stay on there too long and clog her up. Just keep cleaning her with warm water and she should be just fine!
big_smile.png

Edit: Welcome to BYC!!! You will just love your little girl! The brahmas have the sweetest personalities!

Last edited:
Pasting is fairly common. Some say it is because the chick is too warm or the chick is just prone to it. They outgrow it, or at least chicken I have had have all done so. Just gently removing the pasted poo is perfect. When the poo gets caught up in the vent fuzz, it make a poo wall that builds and can act like a cork.

Just keep doing what youa re doing and it will all be fine.
smile.png

Thanks so much for the welcome and the assistance. This one has been 'claimed' by my nephew in Florida and he gets daily email reports and phone calls. I am in Oregon. LOL

Here is the cutie in topic...

HPIM2258_editedSmall.jpg

that is Lilly
big_smile.png
I posted pics of the new kids in a separate thread...
big_smile.png

Molly, Holly, Sandy, Lilly, Speckles and Maggie

I think I am going to spoil them in an hour or so and give them a piece of fresh lettuce to play with.

Back
Top Bottom