Chick bleeding leg

Foursam

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 19, 2012
Hi, I'm new here, my chick has a bleeding leg/side, not sure what to do. Sorry for all the pics

Was she in with other chicks, any ideas on how she might have gotten hurt? That's kind of a weird looking injury. If it were me, I would separate the chick, make sure she has clean bedding and that it's material that won't get into the wound (sawdust, etc), make sure she's nice and toasty warm, clean food, water, etc. Clean the wound and if you have stiptic powder put some on if it's readily bleeding, top with light coating of neosporin. Keep EVERYTHING (bedding, wound) clean, watch her a lot. Feed something to her that has probiotics (not sure if medicated chick feed has that already?) to keep her immune system good to help fight infection. If she goes downhill and you don't want to take her to the vet, please humanely put her out of her misery. It's hard, but part of it... good luck :)

she hatched out today and was with them for a bit. The wound is kind of sac like around the leg and there seems to be a hole above the hip? I've got nothing with me for the chick so atm i'm keeping it clean and keeping her seperated and warm.

Could be a deformity then maybe, I'm just spitballing here.. or some type of defect especially if she just hatched out. She's probably in pain honestly. You could call your vet to get some better advice (I do it all the time) but if that were me, with this new info. considered, I would put her down humanely. See what your vet says though; they will definately know more & may have options for you.

Well I just figured out what is wrong with the chick, she was born without her left wing. The bleeding has stopped last night and she is drinking and looking for food and following mum around

Back
Top Bottom