Chick blinded by fowl pox scabs? HELP

mama2gage

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 20, 2013
I need some serious advice. This is one of the chicks that my hen hatched out on June 14th. From what I've been told, this is fowl pox. Only the two babies have gotten this, none of the others in my flock. The first black bump appeared on their beak shortly after birth. This baby has had one eye scabbed over for at least 2 weeks now, and when I came home today, the second eye has closed. I had been putting Neosporin on the scabs like someone had suggested but switched to iodine tincture when that was showing no sign of helping. These scabs show no sign of getting ready to fall off. Now this one chick is left blinded and I've had to bring her in to the garage so she'll be in a smaller, confined area where hopefully she can find water and food in the cage. I cannot be home all day to make her drink. I don't know whether to put her down or what to do to make this better. Any suggestions? Anyone recognize this as something other than fowl pox? Also, seeing as the chicks are both 4 weeks old now, they are extremely small compared to chicks I've raised in a brooder.

I would call my vet (or other doctor)and ask if he or she could give me a prescription for a steroid eye drop or ointment that might reduce the swelling in the eyes. There is no treatment for fowl pox, so it has to run it's course which from what I have read is about 3 weeks. I would put the two chicks in together in isolation, and wet the food down with water to make it easier for the blind chick to get water. If you can get some chick electrolytes/vitamins or use PolyVisol (no iron) baby vitamins and some pedialyte to mix in the water. They are worth a try to save--you can only do what you can. Perhaps a neighbor child could watch them for you while you are at work?

Back
Top Bottom