Chick born with deformed beak, should I cull?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by suenrob, Mar 25, 2009.

1. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    I had one egg left to hatch out of 40. I thought it was a dud but held it up to my ear and tapped on it and it began to chirp. I put it back and waited, but still no pip. I decided to help and found out why it couldn't pip the egg. It is missing half of its upper beak!!!! I don't know if it will be able to eat or drink properly. Has anyone ever has this happen? If it makes it through the night, I will try to get a picture in the morning. I feel so bad for the poor little thing.

On a happier note: I had a great hatch!!! 38/40 [​IMG]

Never mind, It didn't make it [​IMG] At least I didn't have to make the decision.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Oh, my! I would supose it would depend on how severe the deformity is. If you see that it is unable to feed itself after a couple of days I think I would cull it [​IMG] I am sorry [​IMG] Hope it makes it.

3. can you hear me now?

can you hear me now? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2008
    Southwest Missouri
    if it can't eat or if it can't eat adequately then I would suggest culling it. There is not sense letting the little thing suffer from a lack of nourishment.

4. FarmerDenise

FarmerDenise Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    Sonoma County
    I had a chicken that ended up with a severely deformed beak. Eventually she could not feed herself and I had to tube feed her. This is a very time consuming chore and one I had to do about every two hours. I could not go anywhere without the chicken. And then one day I was in a rush and put the tube down the wrong pipe and killed my little pet hen.
    If your little chick cannot eat, cull it, unless you want to be it's feeding slave for the rest of it's life!

5. bearfeet3

bearfeet3 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2009
    If it's only missing half of it's upper beak, it should do fine...Have you heard of debeaking? In the egg industry it's pretty common for the beak to be trimmed off to prevent cannibalism due to overcrowding. It's disgusting in my opinion that people would intentionally do this but they seem to do fine. Heres a couple pictures.

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken-debeak-01.jpg

http://www.all-creatures.org/anex/chicken-debeak-04.jpg

Anyway if the animal has a will to live and isn't suffering, I wouldnt "cull" it.

6. ChickieKeeta

ChickieKeeta C'mon C'mere Fluffa Feathers

Feb 16, 2009
    Cumberland County NJ
    :(Sorry for your loss. Good to be spared from making the decision.

[​IMG] Wonderful hatch rate!!!!

7. suenrob

suenrob Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2008
    Ft. Myers, FL
    Thanks everyone

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by