chick breathing issues!

clayb226

Songster
8 Years
Mar 31, 2011
Missouri
One of my BLRW chicks seems to have trouble breathing. Appears to be gasping for breath, even having to open it's beak. It hatched a day late, and was very sticky, my wife had to clean it, was like glue. It is almost one week old, and just started this. It is smaller than the others, but appears to going to have good blue lacing. Would you have any advice for a newbie chick doctor?? I isolated it in a ramien noodle box in the brooder, and put sugar water in for it. I also put a little sugar water in it's feed, to moisten it. I thought maybe a crop problem, but when I force feed sugar water, then message crop water bubbles out of it's mouth. It has enough strength to jump out of the isolation box, but I want to fix this issue before it gets too far. I also thought that it may be too warm, but the other 5 have no issues. My next idea would be some sort of lung infection; as it seems to have spells, not too bad, then real bad. Any ideas would be apprieciated, thanks in advanced.

EDIT: I forgot to add, when it breaths, by opening it's mouth, I hear a clicking sound from it??

Last edited:
Hi, have you opened his beak up to make sure he doesn't have food stuck in the back of his throat? I had this happen with very young chicks on two different occasions. I took the end of a q-tip, took most of the cotton off, and was able to gently scoop it out like that. I believe they were not drinking properly and caused the food to cake up in their throat. Both times my babies were gasping like yours.

Quote:
I opened it's beak, there is nothing I can see, except a hole opening and closing very fast like in the back of it's throat.

I was hoping it would be an easy fix. The clicking sound worries me. The only experience that I have had with that was with newly hatched chicks. Both times the chicks had varying problems. They both made the clicking sound when they were breathing and sadly they didn't make it. I have no idea what causes that as I am still new and learning. I hope someone with more experience comes along to help you.

Thanks you for your replies,
It's wings are now droopy, and it appears dizzy, falling over, and slowly falling one way or the other until it is all the way down. It can still jump out of the isolation box though. It jumps out, and falls to the floor and stays there. It is breathing soo deep, that it's tail feathers are even moving??

Last edited:
I'm sorry he is getting worse. I would just try to keep him comfy for now. I hope someone else will come along with help for you. It sounds like he isn't getting enough oxygen. He may have hatched with a defect that is getting worse as he grows? I really don't know... When it happened with mine I assumed a defect or maybe they aspirated fluid while they were hatching? I'm really just guessing...I wish I could help you more.

Quote:
Thank you very much, I will keep an eye on it, and keep it isolated. I shut the brooder lamp off, just in case it is hot for some reason. I also put a tempature gauge in there.

I tipped the chick upside down, and rubbed it's chest, and some thick mucus stuff came out. It is still having trouble breathing, but it's lungs may be full of fluid. How could I get this fluid out??
barnie.gif

If it fell into the water dish, and took a breath, how would I get the water out, and would it turn thick and mucusie??

Last edited:
I have also just noticed that it's tongue is working overtime, and it's bottom beak is very moist, almost watery. I do not know if this means anything, but I only have four BLRW chicks, and would like to save them all, if possible.

Back
Top Bottom