Chick breed recommendations (and possible rooster)

smoore7489

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
So this will be my 2nd year of raising chickens. Last year I got some RSL and RIR. All that we purchased are healthy and thriving. (Even the roosters we had to get rid of are at a farm guarding sheep and hens having the time of their life)
I plan to get more in the next couple weeks. Probably about 10-15 more and wanting to try a new breed or two (or THREE!)

I was wanting to see what y'all would recommend for me this time around. We are looking for mainly egg layers but dual purpose is good too! (Hubby has thought about harvesting some for meat a few years down the road)
I want something that is a mainly docile breed. Thinking of maybe getting a straight run to see about getting some roosters as well but still undecided bc roosters are just so unpredictable sometimes. (And I have a 5 yr old) But if u have had a good success with roosters of a certain breed please let me know!
Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)

Australorps are good producers, a heavier breed, and gentle. I like them very much, and if I were beginning a flock again, my first generation would be Australorps. I've not heard much in the way of complaints about the roosters, though I've never owned any Australorp roosters that weren't mixed.

Buff Orpingtons are slighly less good producers (about 200/yr) and have many proponents, but I've never owned one. They're said to be good with children.

Australorps are good producers, a heavier breed, and gentle. I like them very much, and if I were beginning a flock again, my first generation would be Australorps. I've not heard much in the way of complaints about the roosters, though I've never owned any Australorp roosters that weren't mixed.

Buff Orpingtons are slighly less good producers (about 200/yr) and have many proponents, but I've never owned one. They're said to be good with children.

Thanks for your recommendation! I was thinking of Buff orphingtons but I think I wanna mix it up a bit. Get a few in different breeds. I like having a mixed flock :)

Thanks for your recommendation! I was thinking of Buff orphingtons but I think I wanna mix it up a bit. Get a few in different breeds. I like having a mixed flock :)

We have a very mixed flock, like one of every breed. lol. We also have a seperate silkie flock, and a bantam flock. So what are you looking for, say a good egg layer, friendly, or more of an ornamental breed?

I 100% agree with this. I own both Australorps and BO. I had 2 roosters at the same time (2 months age difference) without any problems. Both breeds are large.. roosters about 22-24" tall. Both roosters were good with hens, my dogs and myself.

I've read Australorp roos can be very aggressive, but I've not seen that with mine in any way. My BO rooster was extremely sweet almost docile, but DID protect my hens until the day he died. I highly recommend both breeds.

Plymouth barred rocks are also wonderful as hens and roosters. Never had an issue with children around my PBR and the hens lay daily. Very smart breed.

We have a very mixed flock, like one of every breed. lol. We also have a seperate silkie flock, and a bantam flock. So what are you looking for, say a good egg layer, friendly, or more of an ornamental breed?
Good egg layer and friendly is a plus! :)

I 100% agree with this. I own both Australorps and BO. I had 2 roosters at the same time (2 months age difference) without any problems. Both breeds are large.. roosters about 22-24" tall. Both roosters were good with hens, my dogs and myself.

I've read Australorp roos can be very aggressive, but I've not seen that with mine in any way. My BO rooster was extremely sweet almost docile, but DID protect my hens until the day he died. I highly recommend both breeds.

Plymouth barred rocks are also wonderful as hens and roosters. Never had an issue with children around my PBR and the hens lay daily. Very smart breed.

Id love to have a rooster. I really enjoyed our RIR roos. They were friendly towards me but hated my son and my dog so i got rid of them. How long did u have your BO roo?

Okay, then I would definitely recommend some Ameracaunas or if you don't mind a mixed breed, Easter eggers can be good. Marans are also good egg layers and come in all different colors and lay very dark eggs. White egg layers tend to be more flighty but Anconas can be tamed very easily and are a beautiful breed. And one of my favorite heritage breeds are speckled sussex. They are great layers and so pretty. Another good layer and more friendly breed is wyandottes. Golden and silver laced ones are especially pretty.

As a child growing up on the farm my dad raised barred rocks primarily. Heritage breed of course, I know some BR aren't quite the "one a day egg layer" I remember the meat being pretty good, eggs even better. After they got to the point they only laid 2 eggs a week they went to the freezer.
I remember them being sweet, quiet and very curious, although sometimes escaping and eating the entuen strawberry patch!
I'm currently raising BR and BO with some Ameraucana. Eventually we will only raise dual purpose, and adding in meat birds in a couple years.

Hi there okay first thing is first where are you located because that might change what breeds you should look at.

Every single chicken has it's own personality and temperament, but some of rooster aggression has been found to be inherited, so if you can find birds raised by someone who has never had trouble with temperament that's great.

Buff Orpingtons are wonderful birds! I got a buff Orpington rooster when I was a child from a neighbor and he was very tame and gentle. Currently we only have buff Orpington hens and they're great too!

We also have Buckeyes, Dominiques, English Orpingtons (any color is great they produce a little less than my hatchery american buffs but are extremely docile and sweet) silkies (more ornamental or pets), Brahmas, Favorelles, EE, cream legbars(autosexing), silver laced Wyandotte and a number of other breeds. I haven't had a brahma rooster but the hens are great and I've only heard good things about the roosters.

We have also had speckled Sussex hens, Marans hens, and a Delaware hen. Along with a number of other miscellaneous breeds and bantams.

Last summer my three year old nephew came out and spent the day with me and the flock. It was wonderful not having to ever worry about him with my birds. Of course I still wouldn't leave him outside alone but he was running around and playing etc. He loved feeding them. Also I thought a small bantam hen would build his confidence but he continually ran right up to my massive(about 14+ lbs) chocolate cuckoo English Orpington roo. Lol the year before that a visitor brought her young 3 year old son who picked up and carried a buff Orpington hen around that was almost as big as him. LOL

Back
Top Bottom