Chick (brooder) Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hackleberry, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Hackleberry

Hackleberry New Egg

Jan 29, 2009
    Deer Park, WA
    Just built a chick brooder coop to house my new chicks. It was a build as you go project. I wanted it so I didn't have to bend over so I made it with long legs. I used half inch hardware cloth for the floor so the poop falls through, but while the chicks are tiny I will cover that with newpaper. I have it inside my garage since it still freezes at night here. I used OSB for the roof and walls. I used OSB sheets under the hardware cloth floor to catch the poop (keeps the garage floor clean). One inch chicken wire on the sides. I built two doors on each side so there's plenty of access. It is 6 feet long and 3 feet wide and 2 feet high walls

Just got two dozen chicks yesterday, half Rhode Island Reds and half Silver Laced Wyandottes. Now I have to get hot and build a real chicken house and pen before they out grow my chick coop. [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is one of the coolest things I have seen yet! I am so going to show the hubby and have him build me one!

3. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

I really like this too, will have to build myself one for the new chicks coming in May! Love it, love it!! [​IMG]

4. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

very nice!!

5. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Thats awesome!

Oh I think the new dewalt set needs a new project!

Good Job!

6. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    That's awsome, I really love it think you scored 20 on scale of 10.
    Great design, and very clean construction. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    WOW very nice! [​IMG]

8. mmtillman

mmtillman Chillin' With My Peeps

Wish I had seen this during the weeks I awaited my chicks! What a cool idea!! Gonna build one for the next batch !!! [​IMG]

9. RHewitt

RHewitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Great work. It is fun to use what you built to provide a great space for your birds. Excellent!

10. equus2

equus2 Chillin' With My Peeps

My weekend plans have CHANGED!!!

zoom zoom

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by