Chick can’t walk

Jessperowne

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 25, 2019
Thanks everyone for the help and taking the time to read this- I really appreciate it.

We have two chicks that are less than 12 hrs old that look like they may have spraddle leg. They both have a very wide gate and can’t walk. Tummy scooting!

I’ve tried the medical tape method but they are silkies, so very tiny and I struggled to do it. After I’d tried they both just lay on the ground with their legs behind them- a much worse position than before the brace. I’ve removed the braces for now.

My question is: 1) I’ve put them on a towel now to try and help them grip- might they get better on their own given they are so young and I’ve changed their flooring?

What else can I try? I am currently thinking about just sitting and holding them in the correct position for as long as I can each day! 🤣

Thanks everyone x

Maybe the medical tape was too loose so it pushed the legs back? You could try adjusting the tape to different lengths to see if you could get a better position. The towel was a good idea and they are so young that holding their legs in position should help too. They could get better on their own or at least maybe once their are a little older you could tape the legs better and have them actually be able to stand up and not have their legs behind them. Even normal chicks at that age struggle to stand so I'm sure time will help as long as you don't wait too long to fix the splayed legs.

you can use a straw that is cut to the right length and put a small rubberband through the straw so that there is a loop at each end and put one leg in each loop

Back
Top Bottom