Chick can't stand

PCJ

In the Brooder
Jun 3, 2020
My last chick to hatch (was a late hatch day 25) needed help out of the egg and now struggles to stand, it falls to the left and ends up on it back. It is about 20 hours out of the egg and still struggling. What can I do to help it?

Hi! Sorry no one has answered you back yet. There are a number of things that can go wrong with chicks after hatching - especially assisted hatching. Be prepared that you might have a special needs chick on your hands or even that this chick might not make it. Could you post a picture? Are the toes curled? Is it walking on its hocks when it does walk?

I had an assisted hatching chick that was very weak, so I had to feed him for a few days before he regained his strength - used egg yolk, water, and electrolytes via a small syringe. You can try rigging it upright in a cup to see if it can regain balance and rest in that position. I have never done this, but there are likely folks here that would be better at helping.

I would post also in the "Raising Chicks" and/or "Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures" forums.

Hi! Sorry no one has answered you back yet. There are a number of things that can go wrong with chicks after hatching - especially assisted hatching. Be prepared that you might have a special needs chick on your hands or even that this chick might not make it. Could you post a picture? Are the toes curled? Is it walking on its hocks when it does walk?

I had an assisted hatching chick that was very weak, so I had to feed him for a few days before he regained his strength - used egg yolk, water, and electrolytes via a small syringe. You can try rigging it upright in a cup to see if it can regain balance and rest in that position. I have never done this, but there are likely folks here that would be better at helping.

I would post also in the "Raising Chicks" and/or "Emergencies/Disease/Injuries and Cures" forums.
I have it in a coffee cup which is helping it remain upright and I have been trying to give it some honey water which it takes a little of. When not in the cup it sort of hutches forwards, falling onto its side and ending up on its back. I am hoping being in the cup will help it get stronger and help it learn to keep the right way up. I just want to get some food and energy into the poor thing. Prepared to try even if I do end up with a slightly special needs bird as long as it doesn't suffer long term x

IMG_20200603_133125.jpg
IMG_20200603_120303.jpg

I have it in a coffee cup which is helping it remain upright and I have been trying to give it some honey water which it takes a little of. When not in the cup it sort of hutches forwards, falling onto its side and ending up on its back. I am hoping being in the cup will help it get stronger and help it learn to keep the right way up. I just want to get some food and energy into the poor thing. Prepared to try even if I do end up with a slightly special needs bird as long as it doesn't suffer long term x

You can make a homemade electrolyte mix if you don't have access to chick saver - it's a cup of water, 2 tsp of molasses or granulated sugar, 1/8 tsp table salt, 1/8 tsp baking soda, and an optional 1/8 tsp potassium chloride (I didn't have the later, so I didn't use it). This concoction worked well for me when I had a sick newborn assisted hatch chick. Give them a bit of this a couple times a day - there's no set amount to give them, just play it by ear.

Good luck! I hope you are successful. My chick was sick for an entire week before regaining strength and eating/drinking normally. I just fed him egg yolk and a little bit of plain yogurt occasionally and he pulled through :)

You can also put a little bit of tissue paper or a sock in the cup to make it more comfortable for him (and protect him from the cup getting too hot itself as they heat up well). Use these items to create a bit of a cradle (e.g. put the sock over the edges of the cup to create a little sling for the chick).

Thanks I will try the electrolyte recipe, I have tried yoghurt but not really g showing much interest. Thanks for your help.

You can also put a little bit of tissue paper or a sock in the cup to make it more comfortable for him (and protect him from the cup getting too hot itself as they heat up well). Use these items to create a bit of a cradle (e.g. put the sock over the edges of the cup to create a little sling for the chick).
Thanks, off to raid the odd sock pile!

Thanks, off to raid the odd sock pile!
With the sock in the cup it is more bracing against the side of the cup rather than standing in it (hope that make sense) is that a problem?

Thanks I will try the electrolyte recipe, I have tried yoghurt but not really g showing much interest. Thanks for your help.

You may have to force feed a little once it's past the 48hr mark (as after the hatch for two days it can be sustained by its yolk) - be persistent, but don't put too much in the chick's mouth at a time as you don't want it to choke. I mixed the yogurt with a bit of water so it was easy to swallow and drip on the chicks beak.

Back
Top Bottom