chick chair overnight??

Ivyrae

Songster
6 Years
May 12, 2015
I have a chick with a bad leg who has been a champ with fighting for her life. her hock is hyperextended and getting worse by the day (yet she has still been hobbling around and trying her best to be a chicken).

I spoke with a vet today who recommended a 'platform splint' and suggested putting her in a confined container (similar to that of a chick chair) and to keep her in it for a week.

I am having a hard time even considering that I will have to leave her in there overnight. I made her comfortable and secure and because of the splint I know she can't get out, but I feel so cruel secluding her and keeping her from moving.

anyone have any advice? I know splinting her legs gives her the best chance of normal legs but this feels so unnatural 😳.

Don't worry, chick chairs are used pretty often to correct severe walking issues. It's nothing new, and nothing she can't deal with. Think of it this way: yes chair = healthy baby, no chair = chicken nuggets. There really isn't any choice in the matter. But it's better if you can put her near the other chicks so she can hear or see them, and if she gets really lonely, you can always put a stuffy next to her for comfort. Believe me, our Mr. Duck stuffy has helped many a sick chick get through a stressful night.

Don't worry, chick chairs are used pretty often to correct severe walking issues. It's nothing new, and nothing she can't deal with. Think of it this way: yes chair = healthy baby, no chair = chicken nuggets. There really isn't any choice in the matter. But it's better if you can put her near the other chicks so she can hear or see them, and if she gets really lonely, you can always put a stuffy next to her for comfort. Believe me, our Mr. Duck stuffy has helped many a sick chick get through a stressful night.
thank you I super appreciate the reassurance!!
she has been so mentally alert and strong through all of her troubles that I feel like she really deserves the chance to be fixed or at least a touch better!

although she's getting around right now, it is not the ideal way at all I know will get worse as she grows despite her strong will.
great call on the stuffy! she has had a stuffy moose that has been her foster mama (along with two other younger than her bantams). I just put that with her in a spot where she can safely nuzzle up to.
she and her buddies have been calling to each other but seem to be settling.

again, thank you so much and I hope this helps the poor thing!

Back
Top Bottom