Chick Chart - does one exist?

xC0000005

Songster
12 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Woodinville, WA
It seems it ought to be possible to create a "chick chart" to help identify what breed you have - in essence one of those taxonomy trees where you start off with all breeds (or some breeds) and then select "Does chick have feathered legs?" and half the breeds are eliminated. "What color is your chick" and you choose yellow, buff, red, black, etc and again, a bunch of them are eliminated. "Is it white underneath?" , "Does this chick have black spots on wings" and so on. At each step the possible breed pictures are reduced.

Does one of these already exist? Or a detailed breed chart which could be used to create one?
I got a batch of brown egg layers from McMurray and I'll be darned if I can identify some of these, even KNOWING what the possible options are. Then I figured there had to be a way, and generally speaking, anything this obvious already exists, but I figured the chicken experts here would know.

Don't know if something like this exists, but it sure would be helpful.

Problem is SO MANY chicks start off looking identical to so many breeds that an "early chick" chart would not be too beneficial.

As they grow and get their feathers, it's easier to tell them apart.

There are photos, however, of chicks and adults for comparison purposes.

And from there you can tell that some have white bottoms, some have a dot on their heads, some have chipmunk stripes with feathered feet, some do not, . . . etc.

This site might be helpful for your identification process: http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/BRKBabyChicks.html

smile.png

Last edited:
I have been toying with the idea of a putting together a chick ID booklet... good front, top, and profile shots of chicks from a variety of breeds so someone new to chickens can identify (or at least make an educated guess) chicks in a grab bag type assortment(like at feed stores and in hatchery assortments)... might actually do it this spring

i really really really realllllly support this idea! I don't care if a lot of the chick types look similar. I am ordering from a hatchery and am expecting 26 different breeds and I need help identifying them. A chart would make that MUCH easier.

Oregon Blues: I'm ordering purebred from a hatchery and with this many... I'm pretty sure other people have probibly been scratching thier heads a time or two too... I hardly think I'm alone! It would make a good addition to the FAQ in the help section for "identify this ...." stuff...

Last edited:
there are so many breeds out there that look the same as chicks i dont believe a chick chart would help...maybe a chart for 3-4 month olds if you havent figired out the breed by then would help

Check out the website Feathersite. It isn't a chart, but if you have a suspected breed you can look at pics of the adults and chicks of that type.

Back
Top Bottom