Chick chat! (Just random chatter about hatching and raising chicks!)

BOchickmama4

Chirping
Mar 25, 2023
Hi, i'm quite new to BYC and I just wanted to post this chat for people who want to post questions (ME!) and answers!
or you can just chat about chicks (because why not)!!!
I've just hatched my first batch of chicks and i got 3 out of 5 eggs!
I think i've got 1 roo and 2 pullets
They are only 3 days old now!!!
have fun chatting!!!

:hugs

I was wondering where the word 'Straight run' is from!
I'm not purchasing chicks, i've already got some!!!!!!
I was just wondering if any of you know!

I couldn’t tell you on that one.

But do you want to know my question? Does anyone else follow your chickens around, waiting for the poop so you can get a stick and dissect it, looking for moving things and colors?

adult chicken wise i have a buff orpington cross and a couple brown hybrids and an olive egger and a lavender chicken (not sure which breed as we took her in as she needed a new home!) and a pure buff orpington Cock! all the biological parents of the 3 chicks i incubated who hatched 25th and 26th March!
and this is my first brood of chicks EVER!!!
thanks for asking!!!

Picked up some Cornish X chicks from Tractor Supply yesterday. We live in the city but this will be our second time raising our own meat (first was last fall). I know it's not for everyone, and it's tough for us too, but we feel good knowing the meat we eat had a happy and low-stress life. They are well cared for all the way from purchase to harvest. These little fuzz balls are so cute though, that it's hard not to get attached!
signal-2023-03-28-06-52-22-187.jpg
signal-2023-03-28-06-53-05-785.jpg

Anyone else have meat chicks right now?

Also, at the end of April we'll be picking up our small order of laying hen chicks from Meyer. :) Buff Orpington, Buckeye, Easter Egger. All new breeds to our flock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom