Chick died but the heck is this???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kvmommy, Nov 6, 2011.

1. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    My severely shrink-wrapped terrible air cell chick died. I think if I'd helped sooner it wouldn't have gotten so shrink-wrapped. But this extremely sticky, globby stuff was stuck to its face and shell. It literally felt like rubber cement...this chick had no chance in hell. Besides being shrink-wrapped there was no way it could have unstuck itself from this glue. I zipped the chick and wet the membrane...but when I checked it was barely alive. I decided to go ahead and try to remove the globby stuff...it was horrible. The chick died about 30 seconds into the process. Here's a pic of some of the stuff.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    I have no clue what that is. Weird though. Maybe someone else knows. [​IMG]

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Its left over egg white- it can be a sign that the humidity was a little high since not enough moisture was lost from the egg during incubation. That stuff really does dry like cement onto a chick - was there any egg yolk unabsorbed when you helped it? If so - the likely hood was that it wouldnt have made it anyway. Helping a chick too early can still end the same way- sad part of incubation is not knowing exactly when and if to help them. Sad when they get so far but still dont make it out alive.

4. kvmommy

kvmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2011
    I dry hatched and my weight was spot on...I thought maybe I incubated to low because I had to shrinkwrapped chicks...but have 3 that hatched perfectly. The yolk was totally absorbed and it was weird, part of the membrane had noooo vessels but part of them had vessels. When I was helping the first time, I hit a tiny bit of blood...the 2nd time it died before I saw any vessels. After it died when I eggtopsied it I found one big vein in the navel connected to a few small veins but she otherwise was perfect...just cemented down with the goop. It took 5 minutes of removing the goo before I could even check the rest of the baby...she was soooo stuck in there. [​IMG] I did what I could..but I don't think anything could have saved her. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by