chick died during pip out. . .Why?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sullivansteph, May 14, 2011.

1. sullivansteph

sullivansteph Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Ok so this is my first hatch. . . . 15 have hatched great with no problems. I had one egg that I've been watching all day. It had pipped about 1/3 of the way around the egg. I just checked it to see why there has been no more progress and the chick inside is dead. What happened?

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Dried out? Ran out of energy? Heart attack? Drowned? Poked its egg-sack and bled out?

Could be any number of things. You could egg-topsy to get more info, or just know that not all chickies are strong enough to make it out.

[​IMG]

3. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] I am so sorry to hear that

4. Spitman

Spitman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    My first hatch I had some eggs from some Chickens that were given to me . I was so excited to hatch eggs and my bator was finally ready, but my chickens had only been laying a short time . But these chickens were 2 so i took there eggs and tried to hatch them. First off they were not looking very healthy second I should have made sure they were eating proper , and well adjusted to there new home and diet. Well long story short It was terrible to watch them hatch It took forever and ever, they were so week after and they couldent stand straight and one just hopped because one of his legs was worthless and deformed . It was brutal , after weeks of trying everything to help them one died in a sling that I made for him to try and fix his legs , And Hop-along also after about 7 weeks ,not being able to perch with the other chicks, and getting picked on from birth , I couldnt take it anymore and put him out of his misery. I say all this to let you no I'm sorry you had to have that happen but be thankful that you didnt have him hatch only to see him weak and die. Also to give you HOPE all my hatches since that have been 95%+ HR and nothing but healthy chicks . Be blessed and Happy hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by