Chick Disappeared, What Do I Do With The Remaining One?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by thecountrychickengirl, Aug 17, 2010.

1. thecountrychickengirl

thecountrychickengirl New Egg

Jun 29, 2010
    This morning when I went out to feed my chickens, I was quite horrified to notice one of my chicks missing. After looking around, I found no body, blood, and only one tail feather; then again, its small enough to be devoured in one bite, or carried into the trees. I have no other chicks to keep the remaining one company, and he is too young to release with the laying hens. However, he is a rather large Brahma chick, and Im concerned that a younger chick might be injured unintentionally. Should I get a new chick, or will this one eventually get over the other ones death?

2. Bill D

Bill D Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2010
    Fayetteville NC
    I had two that were the same age and one got eaten as well. I went out and found 2 "friends" of similar age to replace the 1! That's how it works, right? Lose 1, buy 2??!! At least that is what I told my wife![​IMG]

3. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

If you can get a new chick of similar age and size (local Sale Barn?), I would do that... but if one can't be found, can you put the baby in a closed pen/crate so that he can see and be seen by the flock but can not be hurt? Releasing him later after he gets bigger.

btw... [​IMG]

4. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Another example of "chicken math" ! [​IMG]

5. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    I took in a chick as a rescue and raised him by himself and he really bonded with me. It became one of my best pets ever following me around wherever I went and would fly up and sit in my lap all day.

Something to consider...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by