chick disaster

skunkalley

Hatching
12 Years
Mar 7, 2007
East Texas
I have been coming to this site ever since I ordered some chicks from Ideal. I have really enjoyed it. Here's my story. About three weeks ago I ordered 5 chicks of 8 different breeds. I got 43 live and well chicks. I gave 8 away and so I had 35 left. They were all doing great and all had there feathers and were going to be beautiful chickens.. I was going to take off work today and build there pen (had them in a 3' x 8' box with a heat lamp in my 24 x 30 workshop) but my wife called frantically this morning and said that my shop was on fire and it was. Apparently, they somehow knock my lamp into there box and started the fire. Lost all contents of shop and 34 of my fine little flock. Found one wandering around so for the time being it will be an inside bird until I can set the new pen up. I will start over as soon as I get the new pen built. Thanks for hearing my story. Jeff

Oh, Jeff, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. What a sad situation! So heartbreaking....
sad.png

Was this your first flock? I hope you aren't disheartened and get some more chicks when your pen is finished.
What have you named the little survivor?

That's so sad. You have to be very careful with heat lamps, I tie them twice to something that definitely can't be moved. At least it wasn't your house! Hope you find your survivor a freind soon
sad.png

Sorry to hear of your loss.

It happens to many people useing heat lamps. I had one start a fire once. Just thankful I was home when it started. Now I hang then from the ceiling on a light chain.

While on the subject of fires. I would caution all those hatchaholics out there to check their egg turner motors. They should be opened annually and cleaned. I have had two of them go up in flames. I find they collect a lot of dust over a hatching year.

I'm so sorry to hear about your loss...
And glad that one survived anyways..
At least it wasn't your house also...
You can keep the cheep in your house, in a cat carrier until you get buddies for him/her.

Well "Lucky" is doing fine. She comes in the house at night and sits on the kid's laps at the computer, so she's being spoiled. I will be getting more in a few weeks. I thank all of ya'll for your kind replies. That is why I like to come here and read all your posts. Thanks Jeff

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom