Chick drags his beak

corscors

Hatching
Jul 12, 2016
I am new to chickens, we have 7 week old chicks (buff orp, golden polish, araucana and a black star who has designated herself the boss).
So the araucana doesn't care to be picked up... At all. She seems anxious and every time I do pick her up she drags her beak hard across my hand or arm. I just want to be sure she isn't trying to be "mean" and show me who is boss, etc and that this behavior won't get worse. I can't find anything online about dragging the beak.

If she doesn't like to be picked up don't do it. She is trying to tell you she is not fond of this behavior and to please stop. If she was being aggressive she would be biting you.

Well she's small and needs to be picked up at times, also I've read several things that said to keep handling them so they get used to it. We did not raise them from hatched chicks.

Well she's small and needs to be picked up at times, also I've read several things that said to keep handling them so they get used to it. We did not raise them from hatched chicks.
I would pick her when you want to, some don't like it but it's best that they get used it so that later it isn't stressful if you need to check them over, treat them for something, or even move them.

Back
Top Bottom