Chick dying

Im really sorry dont mean this harshly dont know if u are commercial and even ig u are tht last photo is not good there is no space they all climbing on top of each other i think thats a big part of the problem imo wheres their quality of life being stuck to each other overcrowded and in a barn?
Sam x

Did they run out of water?

Although they can withstand cold temperatures, the draft has to be taken care of and I can imagine that in a big barn one might need some partitions to provide draft free spaces for the chickens to roost at night.

Keeping them enclosed at all times, you would need to supplement the lack of natural light by Vitamin D3 additives or special lamps that provide a spectrum akin to daylight, as for instance used for terrariums etc.
They have plenty of water access. There is no draft but barn is somewhat cold but not cold enough to worry about they should be able to withstand it. They have natural light shining through roof and poultry light on timers that comes on. The birds are three weeks behind on body weight which I forgot to mention. The changes we are making is to feed them more and feed them before sun set so food can burn in their stomachs to keep them warm. We also will move them to perches at night to teach them where to sleep.

Attachments

• e6ceaZ0ER4OjLvWGXuHEJA.jpg
    e6ceaZ0ER4OjLvWGXuHEJA.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 2
Im really sorry dont mean this harshly dont know if u are commercial and even ig u are tht last photo is not good there is no space they all climbing on top of each other i think thats a big part of the problem imo wheres their quality of life being stuck to each other overcrowded and in a barn?
Sam x
Yes you are right this is not good was just showing the problems we were having we will move chicks on perches at night to break this habit of piling.

Yes you are right this is not good was just showing the problems we were having we will move chicks on perches at night to break this habit of piling.
I didnt mean to sound so harsh but yes improvements need to be made we all learning no matter hoe long we had poultry i respect that you are taking our advice in stride just please they need a lot more room and daylight if poss?
Sam

Instead of shutting them out of the brooder rooms, I would suggest to clean them more often and thus provide dry bedding.

What exactly are you feeding them? Do they have granite grit available at all times?
They are feed brooder feed can't tell you right now what exactly is in but we are going to add grit to their diet. They are too old for brooder rooms and they will sleep on perches from now on.

How are they being fed? How many birds per feeder? Same with water. Are they crushing each other to get to the food? They look way over crowded. Do they get any natural light? What kind of ventilation do they have? Can you realistically put 800 birds on perches at night? What USDA guidelines are you following for what appears to commercial raising?

I was reading about this today they have roost but are prone to sleeping in brooders. We lost another 20 last night when we checked on them they were very crowded. What we will change is we are going to begin to feed them before sunset and move them to perches so they can learn where to sleep I'll keep updates thanks for the advice.
  • They need to have the feed available at all times. At least 18% protein.
  • You can feed them some additional corn in the evening to help keep them warm at night.
  • Provide granite grit and oyster shells at all times.
  • There needs to be multi vitamin and electrolyte additives in their drinking water.
  • And by what I can see from the pictures you provided, they crowd in the brooder space to get some warmth, so it is vital to provide more heat lamps/heat sources for the underfed birds to survive.
  • The big hall is much too dark and needs to be lit up at least during day time.
  • They need wooden perches as in very cold weather they will freeze to metal perches.

Last edited:
How are they being fed? How many birds per feeder? Same with water. Are they crushing each other to get to the food? They look way over crowded. Do they get any natural light? What kind of ventilation do they have? Can you realistically put 800 birds on perches at night? What USDA guidelines are you following for what appears to commercial raising?
Currently we are dumping buckets of their feed in long feed chain they are not crushing each other when feed or watered. They looked over crowded in picture because they all chose to sleep in a single brooder room but they have entire barn too run about and when fully grown they will have outside access. They have natural and artificial light. The ventilation is ok in barn but not as well in brooder rooms. We have installed fans and vents in brooder rooms to help ventilate. We have enough help to transfer birds to perches. At night birds are a lot calmer so we can move them to perches a lot easier. We are organic farm on our first years so we are still learning. I have read you must feed each bird more for every degree below freezing so we made that change and are feeding them before sunset and in morning. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom