Chick eating coffee chaff

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Hi everyone,

I wasn’t sure which topic to post this question so if it belongs elsewhere please tell me so I can repost it accordingly.

I have a seven week old bantam Orpington in my flock who I just caught chowing down on the coffee chaff that I use as bedding and mulch.

I know coffee grounds are toxic to chickens but does anyone know if eating the chaff would cause an issue? This little guy is the only one I’ve seen doing it. He seems fine at the moment.

Thanks in advance for help :)

Thanks for your reply. I also use pine shavings for coop bedding but the flock free ranges in my back yard and that’s where he has been eating the chaff as I use it around the garden. He’s been fine today though so it can’t be too bad I guess.

Chickens are usually good at figuring out what they can safely eat, and what they cannot. Most of the time they try a bit of something and make a sensible decision about whether it is safe to eat more.

Even if coffee chaff were somewhat dangerous, removing it would not help much. If a chicken is extra-stupid and eats things he should avoid, he would almost certainly find something else bad to eat while free ranging.

the flock free ranges in my back yard and that’s where he has been eating the chaff as I use it around the garden. He’s been fine today though so it can’t be too bad I guess.

I'm glad to hear it :)

Thanks for the reassurance. I try to balance risk management with common sense because it’s the only way to keep my sanity with these birds. I’ll just keep an eye on him, his crop is emptying overnight and droppings are normal.

Back
Top Bottom