Chick eyes closed all the time?

ChickChickChicky!

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 11, 2011
I just helped hatch 4 chicks this weekend! 2 of which are healthy and strong. The other 2 are getting stronger, but I have a question. Is it normal for a chick to keeps its eyes CLOSED at all times? One of the chicks just keeps its eyes closed all the time and sleeps A LOT! The other chick opens one eye and keep the other closed! I don't know whether its normal and I am very worried, especially since I had to help these chicks out! This is my second time hatching so not much experience especially since the first went very well! Oh and the chicks as of now are at least 3-4 days old! AND THANKS FOR READING!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
No, it's not normal for them to have their eyes closed all the time. Hopefully someone else has more experience than I and can help you out.

I am experiencing this right now with mine, it's a respiratory disease, get them on antibiotics right away. I have mine on penicilan day 2 and already they seem a little better. Hope everything goes well for them.

One of my new chicks did this until day 3 and most of the time on day 4 - she is now 8 days old and is healthy and running around like the rest - I think this one just needed more time to either mature or rest up. I did make sure it was drinking and gave it some cooked egg yolk - it didn't eat or drink a lot before it got its energy and started opening its eyes more. Good luck - keep us posted how she does.

Mine were healthy for the first 2 days and them they started doing this, and it spread to more and more of them (a clue that its a virus). Then they started having difficulty breathing, beaks open and a rattling sound if you put them close to your ear, all of these things are signs of a problem and they should go on antibitics and probiotics.

Thanks for the advice! Sadly the one that always sleep and keeps both eyes close died 3 days ago.!
sad.png
The 2nd one is perfectly fine, but it been pooping this whitish clear poop, not sure if its normal. And both of its eyes are open now!
smile.png
We believe its sick so we keep it separate from the other 2 chicks. So any more advice?
hmm.png

Last edited:
Quote:
@new chicky 79 I have been hearing a rattling noise! But the chicks seem perfectly fine. Weak but better than before! Should I put her on antibiotics its been at least a week. Thanks for telling me!
smile.png

ChickChickChicky! :

Thanks for the advice! Sadly the one that always sleep and keeps both eyes close died 3 days ago.!
sad.png
The 2nd one is perfectly fine, but it been pooping this whitish clear poop, not sure if its normal. And both of its eyes are open now!
smile.png
We believe its sick so we keep it separate from the other 2 chicks. So any more advice?
hmm.png

I'm a newbie so I don't have any advice, but I had a sick chick and someone sent me this link...kinda gross
sickbyc.gif
but it gives an idea of what could b wrong. Hope this helps some!
hugs.gif

http://www.chat.allotment.org.uk/index.php?topic=17568.0

Back
Top Bottom