Chick failing to thrive

RobinW161209

Chirping
Jun 28, 2017
I got her yesterday and ahe sleeps alot. Temp is good. I've been having to feed and water her via syringe. I have done both sugar and electrolyte water. She perks up for a bit but gets sleepy again when it wears off. She enthusiastically eats from the syringe. She's 3 days old, Swedish Flower Hen. She's smaller than my other chicks but they're all different breeds. My Silkie is also refusing to eat and drink, kinda sleepy too, but when it's up it's normal. I got her feom a friend nd she has bumble foot, so dealing with that. But Idk what to do? I'm syringe feeding these two 3x/day. I feel bad. Is there anything I can for sure do? The Sweish ate cook yolk this morning too. She has spurts of up and around but sleeps alot.

I don't have any helpful advice, but what your doing gave me an idea for my sick chick.... she's 3 wks old, but is super sleepy all of a sudden (the last 4 days) she's no longer drinking or eating... how do you feed your chick with a syringe and how much sugar do you mix into the water? I'm worried she's dying :( I think that might be a good idea to try...

I mix crumble with water. It'll push water out first, so make sure thst comes out, then slowly squeeze small amounts of food into the front of beak. I didn't measure sugar water. Just put 5 ml of water in a childrens med cap and sprinkled some in(took a bit for her to perk up). Getting a cc syringe is better for it, bur my kids lost mine. So I've just been making water bead at tip of syringe then sticking to beak. If you can't hold your chick snd keep head still/beak open, wrap in a dry rag or dish towel. I've never had older chicks act up, how does poop look? They also have sav a chick electrolytes you put in water. Chicks are so small they die quick. I'm seriously doing everything I possibly can for mine.

This is for the hen with bumblefoot. Soak her foot in warm water so it is safe for her to drink then pry off the scab. Put some non-medicated neosporin on it then wrap it in vet wrap or with a cotton pad for sports wrap.

This is for the hen with bumblefoot. Soak her foot in warm water so it is safe for her to drink then pry off the scab. Put some non-medicated neosporin on it then wrap it in vet wrap or with a cotton pad for sports wrap.
I soaked em in epsom water and pur honey and wrapped with bandaids. But I didn't know if she'd bleed if I tried ro pull them? They look half better.

Pics of your brooder setup? Might help narrow things down. And you must be very, very careful using syringes. If the chick gets anything in the windpipe (in the center), rather than the esophagus (to the sides), it could very well kill the chick. I've had it happen before.

Pics of your brooder setup? Might help narrow things down. And you must be very, very careful using syringes. If the chick gets anything in the windpipe (in the center), rather than the esophagus (to the sides), it could very well kill the chick. I've had it happen before.
I did have that happen and she/he had water coming out of their nose.

Yes, my 2 pullets had cocci at 3 wks old, I'm definitely weary on the syringe. Squirting with a cc in tip of beak and waiting was how I did it. I didn't trust my ability with a frantic chick to shove it in mouth. This is my temp set up since they're small. The one chick sleeping in all 3 pics is Sleepy(my kids named her). She has started eating out of my hand now instead of only taking from syringe. The Silkie in the back is the one with bubmle not eating, and minimally drinking. Her breathing seems a bit hard as well.

Attachments

• 20180322_220706_HDR.jpg
    20180322_220706_HDR.jpg
    489 KB · Views: 15
  • Message_1521770817862.jpg
    Message_1521770817862.jpg
    457.4 KB · Views: 15
  • Message_1521770503966.jpg
    Message_1521770503966.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 14

Oops I replied on wrong comment. I posted pics and stuff below.

Back
Top Bottom