Chick falling to thrive

LadyKotaDoria

Songster
8 Years
Nov 12, 2012
Salem, Missouri 65560
I have 6 chicks, 2 are about 9 days old and weigh in at 80+ gr. 4 are 5 days old, 3 are over 38 gr. 1 is 21 gr. she is listless, sleeps all the time. I have seen her eat and drink. I have raise geese, budges, and canary's, these are my first chickens. Experience tells me she is an unhealthy bird, from birth. A losing battle. Looking for advise. I have had budge's that did not get enough food, hand feed was fine. Chicken chicks feed themselves, a different situation.

I have 6 chicks, 2 are about 9 days old and weigh in at 80+ gr. 4 are 5 days old, 3 are over 38 gr. 1 is 21 gr. she is listless, sleeps all the time. I have seen her eat and drink. I have raise geese, budges, and canary's, these are my first chickens. Experience tells me she is an unhealthy bird, from birth. A losing battle. Looking for advise. I have had budge's that did not get enough food, hand feed was fine. Chicken chicks feed themselves, a different situation.
If you decide to save her, go get a small bottle of Poultry Nutri-Drops by Bovidr Labs. It's great for getting chicks back on their feet. See the testimonials at: http://www.bovidr.com/ I have used this product for years on both dogs and poultry. It is state of the art. See poultry: http://www.bovidr.com/poultry.html
Buy the smallest size. A little goes a long way. Like one drop for a chick. The science techs at Bovidr are very knowledgeable and able to help advise. I et mine at Tractor Supply Company. Check online for physical stores .
Best,
Karen in western PA, USA

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I see you got some good advice. Best of luck with your chick. Hope he/she makes it!

My first bunch of chicks (the only ones so far, but hoping to do it again in the spring) had 2 that just had a really hard time thriving. Here's a link to all of the wonderful advise that I got. One of them didn't make it. The other turned out to be a roo and is SO big now that when people come over they spot him from across the yard and say things like "GOOD GRACIOUS!!! Is that a CHICKEN?!?!?!"
Best of luck with your little one.
hugs.gif

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/665113/baby-maran-just-not-thriving

Thank you all for the advise. I will be needing a lot of it as time goes on. I live in a city now, I hope to someday move were I can have 50 or 60 chickens and a couple roasters. Both layers and fryers. I"m not PETA, I eat meat, I believe all animals deserve a high quality of life. So, yes, I want fryers too. It is part of who I am, I tried to save the little ones life, and the next time I will do the same even if I have my 50 birds. And when I harvest a chicken she or he will be thanked as to my late husbands beliefs, and mine. .

Update on Squeeker:
She didn't make it. Her crop was always empty. I had to leave the house, to get an eye dropper, when I got back she was falling fast. I was to late. She was a buff Orpington.
I now have 2 Americana, 2 Silver Lace Wyandotte, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Road Island Red (bought 2 days ago to replace Squeeker, my grandsons chicken). When I introduced the RI Red, she was picked once by the top chick, she picked back, Clare, the boss chick, seemed to accept her after that. The others are her age and I did not expect them to have an opinion. Only the older Americana's.

There seems to be some question if they are Americana or Araucana. They have the check fluff, I called them Americana, the young girl that waited on me said they were Aracucana. The farm stor has been around over 60 years, to stay in business they are now a pet and urben farm store. I am used to them having knowlagable staff. I was confused. The pictures in the books all tell me I am right, Both are very docile and friendly, I still think they are Americana, but at this point it doesn't seem to matter.

Thank you all for the advise. I will be needing a lot of it as time goes on. I live in a city now, I hope to someday move were I can have 50 or 60 chickens and a couple roasters. Both layers and fryers. I"m not PETA, I eat meat, I believe all animals deserve a high quality of life. So, yes, I want fryers too. It is part of who I am, I tried to save the little ones life, and the next time I will do the same even if I have my 50 birds. And when I harvest a chicken she or he will be thanked as to my late husbands beliefs, and mine. .

Update on Squeeker:
She didn't make it. Her crop was always empty. I had to leave the house, to get an eye dropper, when I got back she was falling fast. I was to late. She was a buff Orpington.
I now have 2 Americana, 2 Silver Lace Wyandotte, 1 Buff Orpington, and 1 Road Island Red (bought 2 days ago to replace Squeeker, my grandsons chicken). When I introduced the RI Red, she was picked once by the top chick, she picked back, Clare, the boss chick, seemed to accept her after that. The others are her age and I did not expect them to have an opinion. Only the older Americana's.
There seems to be some question if they are Americana or Araucana. They have the check fluff, I called them Americana, the young girl that waited on me said they were Aracucana. The farm stor has been around over 60 years, to stay in business they are now a pet and urben farm store. I am used to them having knowlagable staff. I was confused. The pictures in the books all tell me I am right, Both are very docile and friendly, I still think they are Americana, but at this point it doesn't seem to matter.

Best of luck to you and welcome! This is the place to find help, without a doubt. I am sorry to hear of your loss
hugs.gif

I"m so sorry to hear about little Squeeker. We learn from them all, the ones that thrive and do well, and the ones that don't.
You sound like you are well on your way to being a very good chicken mom.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom