Chick feed for layers

P-Dog

Songster
8 Years
May 6, 2015
Kawaihae, Hawaii
So my girls started laying a couple of weeks ago! I'm so proud of them! :)

I switched them to layer feed. I discovered a large bag of medicated chick feed in my shed today. Is it okay to use it even though they have started laying? I hate to waste it, but don't want to harm the girls by giving them the wrong food. I also have a bag of oyster shell, so I can supplement the calcium they wouldn't be getting from the chick feed...

Any thoughts?

How old is that feed? Personally, I would not want to eat eggs from birds on Amprolium. It won't hurt them, and probably won't hurt you. But... it would be far less than ideal for both you and the chickens.

It's about two months old. We go through feed quickly and don't buy it in bulk.

I switched them to organic layer feed when we got our first egg a couple of weeks ago, so it's been sitting in a fairly airtight bin for a few weeks.

I hadn't thought about how the medication would effect the eggs. I'll just post it in my local chicken group and see if anyone wants it.

When should I switch to layer feed?

As soon as your hens begin to lay. You can alternatively or complimentarily have oyster shell in a separate feeder so they can eat it if they wish - they know when they are calcium deficient. The latter option is worth considering if you have a flock that is different ages.

CT

Back
Top Bottom