Chick Feed Question

NoSpringChick

Songster
11 Years
Apr 15, 2008
SE PA
I was NOT expecting the chicks to hatch today; they are due tomorrow; however, I have five so far. I had to remove two of them because they were bothering the ones that just hatched. I dipped their beaks in water and they seem to have to have that down, but I just realized I do not have medicated chick feed. Can I give them layer crumbles until I get chick feed or should I cook some hard boiled eggs like they did in the old days before Agway and Tractor Supply???

I've heard of boiled eggs or cooked oatmeal.

The don't need anything until day two or three though.

Last edited:
I would not feed any sort of layer ration to chicks this young. Their kidneys cannot process the excess calcium that is added to feed that is formulated for laying hens.

Absolutely no layer crumble. It will damage their kidneys, because it has too much calcium.
Put uncooked oatmeal in a blender and combine it with the same amount of cornmeal.
This is just an emergency ration, because it does not contain the necessary protein, vitamins or minerals, so hurry up and get some starter. Actually, they do not need anything for the first 3 days, thats why mail ordered baby chicks can survive. They just live from the absorbtion of the yolk sac, but why not getting them used to your feeder and waterer ASAP.

Thanks for all of your help! I forgot they do not need food for the first two or three days. I'll have to stop by Agway first thing in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom