Chick feeder for chicken grit?

FunintheRun

In the Brooder
Sep 17, 2020
Colbert, Washington
Hello! I need to start giving my hens some grit and oyster shells, and I'm wondering if I can use the little chick feeders to do it. Eventually I want to set up those tall PVC pipe feeders for feed, grit, shells, etc, but I don't have the time right now.

I couls probably just pour some in a bowl or rinsed can, but I wanted something a little more intentional. Are the little giant chick feeders too small for hens for grit and calcium?
Screenshot_20201109-213143.png

I originally used a feeder like what you had, then switched to a small pie tin, but they kept knocking it over, so I switched to a soap dish screwed into the wood for the grit and oyster. They work great and the birds don't make any mess.
Seems simple and effective. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you by chance have a picture of the set up? Or what type of soap dish do you mean?

20200608_161837.jpg

I use cat food feeders for the oyster shell and grit. You can fill them from the top, they hold a good supply, and they are plenty heavy enough not to get tipped over. They are also clear so you can easily see how much is being used and when to refill, and they are deep enough that not much gets billed out and wasted. Setting them on cinder blocks keeps them above the bedding to keep them clean.

View attachment 2405898

I use cat food feeders for the oyster shell and grit. You can fill them from the top, they hold a good supply, and they are plenty heavy enough not to get tipped over. They are also clear so you can easily see how much is being used and when to refill, and they are deep enough that not much gets billed out and wasted. Setting them on cinder blocks keeps them above the bedding to keep them clean.
Oh wow, that's a great idea!

Back
Top Bottom