1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Feeder question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Fresh Eggs, Jan 13, 2009.

1. Fresh Eggs

Fresh Eggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    Hello,

I have mi chickies coming in two and a half weeks!!! I would like to know is a 14 hole chick feeder big enough for 26 hatchlings?

2. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    You should probably add a second feeder. The 19 I had last year quickly became too many.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had two of those for my 23 chicks, but let me warn you about something.
    Even at a young age they can be little boogers in setting up their pecking order. The bossier chicks can keep less assertive chicks from eating in peace. That's why I think it's best to always have two feeders available. That way you know that your lowest ranking chicks can always get a bite to eat without being harrassed too much.

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    I would go with two. Two would assure you that all your chicks would get to eat whenever they want to.

5. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    Use two feeders or fill the one feeder at least twice daily , but really the cost of the plastic feeders is so little I would have two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by