Chick Fight

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by guineahen14, Oct 15, 2011.

1. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    My Serama hen hatched 9 chicks about 5 weeks ago. Everything had been going fine but today 2 of the chicks started fighting and the winner kept attacking the loser and it was pityful. The poor thing kept running and screaming, Mom couldn't stop it, so I removed the hurt chick and put some medication on it's bleeding head and took the bully out of the pen. I put the hurt one back in with Mom and the other chicks. I have never raised Seramas before, why was this chick so vicious. I have the bully with two older pullets. I am afraid to put it back with the others. Am I doing the right thing?

2. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    If the bully is getting along with the older pullets, I'd leave it there. Sounds like you did the right thing (at least, I'd have done the same).

It's pretty unusual for chicks to fight seriously, so I'd also keep an eye on the injured one in case it has some other hidden problems. Other chicks and mom can sometimes be cruel to ones that aren't quite 100% in every way. Hopefully this is just a case of a growth spurt leading to a bit more sparring hormones than normal...

Good luck,
    Erica

3. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    You know It is all trial and error. Some things work for 1 and not the other. Just remember that you are the boss now for her. Separate is the first thing and you did it already. Just monitor and make sure you chick is ok. at 5 weeks they are pretty strong by now and giving her a chance to heal is really what she needs even taking her out to be with you every so often to just get her out of the eyes and reach of the other chic it would think.

4. guineahen14

guineahen14 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2010
    Shelbyville Tn
    Thanks for your help, I checked the bully and its victim today and I am 95% sure they are both going to be roosters. I tried putting the victim back with Mom and the other chicks but as soon as the bully sees it, it runs it off, I will catch it again and put it back with the two older chicks.

5. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    aww sounds terrible [​IMG] this almost made my cry (i did whimper) when i read this.
    looks like it let the bully have a little social time...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by