chick following me

BlessedCountry6

Songster
5 Years
Mar 8, 2014
peace, hope and country
I have been putting my chicks out a little each day. We have a flock of 29. I notice one chick that hangs around me more then the other chicks. Is this normal? I think it's cute but odd because I don't socialize with them much, just changing food and water all the time. I don't want to handle them too much and I don't let my kids handle them much because if I have some roos I don't want them to be aggressive. We only pick them up to get them outside.

Some chicks are just in need of a loving "mother!" They will bond with you even if you aren't purposely bonding with them. What breed is the little one?

I got ten New Hampshire's at tsc this year. The first chickens I have had in twenty or so years. Out of the ten three will leave the group and come scratch/nap around my feet anytime I sit in my lawn chair. Fell asleep the other day, woke up covered in chickens. Lol

Shame no-one took a photo of you covered in chickens! Would have been great!
clap.gif

It is. Just don't handle them roughly. But if you are wanting tame birds then defiantly handle and tame them from the start!!

I do want tame birds but I am very strict about not handling them much because I have 4 kids and these are the rules so no chicks get hurt. My kids are 12, 8, 5 and 3. I have felt like I am taking the fun out of the chicks but I don't want an aggressive roo or a dead chick. There are also friend that come over and want to handle the chicks too and I think that is way to much for my 3 week old chicks. I'm trying to think of ways to make the rules less strict without harming the chicks.

I got ten New Hampshire's at tsc this year. The first chickens I have had in twenty or so years. Out of the ten three will leave the group and come scratch/nap around my feet anytime I sit in my lawn chair. Fell asleep the other day, woke up covered in chickens. Lol

aww sweet! So I guess some will want to be more cuddly and the others can keep to their flock.

Back
Top Bottom