Chick Food brand change...

Chick-Mahal

Chirping
May 21, 2021
Concord, NH
My chicks are 9 weeks old and I am almost done with a bag of chick food, I don't want to buy another since it only comes in 50lb bags. I am told at 11 weeks I can give them regular chicken feed. But for the time being can I get another brand that comes in a smaller bag? I have been feeding them organic feed. They eat dried crickets whole. LOL I also realize that the chick food is needed for their growth. That being said any input is appreciated from me and the Australorp Gang!
IMG_20210710_180651293[1].jpg

Buy another bag of chick starter or transition over to a grower but not a layer. I would switch to a crumble or pellet to reduce waste. Don't change to a layer until they start laying at the earliest. There is nothing magical about changing feed at a set age. Feed the entire bag and start transitioning when you get down to the last 10#. Sometimes animals are apprehensive about feed changes so mixing the old and new can help keep them eating.
12 pullets will eat a 50# bag in about 3 weeks so it won't be sitting around for long.

I'd buy another 50lb bag of chick starter - assume it will last another 9 weeks, even though they may eat more, they should waste less, theoretically :) Then when they are about 16 weeks old, add a container of oyster shell on the side. Thinking ahead to your next bag of feed, keep some of the chick starter to mix with that new feed, to transition them slowly to the new. If you choose a pellet, you may have to wet it down to get them to eat it at first.
*Forgot to mention - they look great! :) Another reason to keep them on what you've been using.

My chicks are 9 weeks old and I am almost done with a bag of chick food, I don't want to buy another since it only comes in 50lb bags. I am told at 11 weeks I can give them regular chicken feed. But for the time being can I get another brand that comes in a smaller bag? I have been feeding them organic feed. They eat dried crickets whole. LOL I also realize that the chick food is needed for their growth. That being said any input is appreciated from me and the Australorp Gang!View attachment 2763340
I personally would stick with the chick starter or switch them over to Flock Raiser and leave them on it for life. Your pullets will do fine on that. Just put out a container or two of oyster shell at 18 weeks and you are set for life.
I have never and will never feed layer mix. It's too low in protein IMO and I don't want all the extra calcium forced on them during times when they just don't need it.

I would say it longer, but @DobieLover has the right of it. Stay away from the "Layer" mixes, grab a bag of All Flock/FLock Raiser and set out some oyster shell in a separate bucket for when their calcium needs increase. Black Australorp tend to drop medium eggs every other day to maybe two days out of three, and can become heavy birds. Too much calcium is bad for them, and they will benefit from the extra protein in an All Flock/Flock Raiser all their lives.

I personally would stick with the chick starter or switch them over to Flock Raiser and leave them on it for life. Your pullets will do fine on that. Just put out a container or two of oyster shell at 18 weeks and you are set for life.
I have never and will never feed layer mix. It's too low in protein IMO and I don't want all the extra calcium forced on them during times when they just don't need it.
Thanks I will follow your advice.

I would say it longer, but @DobieLover has the right of it. Stay away from the "Layer" mixes, grab a bag of All Flock/FLock Raiser and set out some oyster shell in a separate bucket for when their calcium needs increase. Black Australorp tend to drop medium eggs every other day to maybe two days out of three, and can become heavy birds. Too much calcium is bad for them, and they will benefit from the extra protein in an All Flock/Flock Raiser all their lives.
Thank you. I want the best for my babies.

Back
Top Bottom