Chick found dead hatched egg. Are other gonna survive?

Unless you saw her step in it with your own eyes, you are guessing.

From the picture, that little guy looks ok, for now. Why is he not under the hen or in a brooder? Please don't move the hen to take pictures. He's wet and will die.
No the second one i found dead was under her foot. That was when i was sure. When the first one died i never thought she stepped on it. I though they died while hatching that is why i poked holes and im sorry for that. But that didn’t hurt them.

No the second one i found dead was under her foot. That was when i was sure. When the first one died i never thought she stepped on it. I though they died while hatching that is why i poked holes and im sorry for that. But that didn’t hurt them.
I have had a bad mom hen. An egg would hatch then she pecked it to death. That happened with 4 before I realized it wasn't a fluke. I took the rest of the eggs and a couple of the hatchlings and put them under a different hen. The rest survived. Some hens are just not cut out for motherhood.

They could have died while hatching or shortly after, and then you just saw her stepping on a dead chick. If it's dead, it is no more to her than straw bedding. Don't judge her necessarily by this.

I have a brilliant broody silkie. She has 7 healthy chicks she is raising right now, but 1 died after hatching. Maybe she stepped on it, maybe she suffocated it, maybe it just died on its own. She is an excellent mother.

Back
Top Bottom