Chick gasping for air!

BLaBauve

Songster
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
Georgia
1) What type of bird , age and weight. 4 week old Cochin
2) What is the behavior, exactly. It is opening it's mouth to take deep breaths and is acting lethargic. You can feel it's whole body take the breath.
3) How long has the bird been exhibiting symptoms? It started acting funny yesterday, but got severe this morning
4) Is there any bleeding, injury, broken bones or other sign of trauma. NO
5) What happened, if anything that you know of, that may have caused the situation. I have no idea. I keep them in the shade. It's hatchmate died 2 days ago from something going on with it's knees. It's knees became very swollen and it died within 24 hours.

6) What has the bird been eating and drinking, if at all. Organic Starter, and water. I have seperated the chick now and given it electrolytes.
7) How does the poop look? Normal? Bloody? Runny? etc. Not sure yet
8) What has been the treatment you have administered so far? Seperation from the others and electrolytes in the water. I did force it to drink some.
9 ) What is your intent as far as treatment? For example, do you want to treat completely yourself, or do you need help in stabilizing the bird til you can get to a vet? I will treat it myself as much as I can.
10) If you have a picture of the wound or condition, please post it. It may help.
11) Describe the housing/bedding in use. The chicks are kept in a tractor grow up pen in the shade, they are sitting on mulch.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

If it will eat...give it raw or scrambled eggs asap. Make sure it's able to rest...no direct sun....make sure brooder is a good temp & offers shade.

Back
Top Bottom