Chick got rained on, now sneezing. what to do?

LilBitCuckoo

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2015
I have been having problems with predators and had a few traps set. I deliberately set them up where my chicks usually do not wander. But several days ago we had a lot of rain and when I went out the next morning I found my 4 month old Bantam Sultan caught in the small animal trap. It was one of those live animal traps so that when they go in the door shuts behind them. So she got rained on, possibly all night. I feel terrible about it, but I did think all my chickens were in their coops for the night. Temps were probably in the upper forties, but that is still pretty cold when you're wet and as small as she is. She is a young bantam, so right now weighs about a pound. I brought her inside right away, got her warm and dry, but she is still sneezing and congested. She has been in my bedroom for several days now. Other than the sneezing and congestion, she shows no other symptoms. She eats and drinks just fine, runs around like she owns the place and sleeps on my back every night. I know that chickens can get lots of diseases, but people say they cannot get colds. So what you call this? Upper respiratory infection or something else? I don't know whether it is viral or bacterial, so don't know whether I should give antibiotics or not. I have not so far because she has not gotten any worse. But she is sneezing a lot and occasionally seems to get choked with the congestion. Otherwise very perky and happy. I have Tylan injectable and Duramycin powder available. Can buy something different if necessary. I absolutely do not want to see her get worse or lose her. Suggestions please.

Hi and sorry about your trap incident. From what you say, she's running around happily doing "chicken" things so i would put vitamin supplements / electrolytes in her water and see how things go - they help give the immune system a boost so she can fight off whatever it may be. If her condition lingers for a few weeks, then consider antibiotics (or however long you decide that enough is enough). Do keep her isolated though as you don't need the problem spreading through your flock. It maybe an idea to acclimatise her to the outdoors again as soon as possible also.

Good luck

CT

Hi and sorry about your trap incident. From what you say, she's running around happily doing "chicken" things so i would put vitamin supplements / electrolytes in her water and see how things go - they help give the immune system a boost so she can fight off whatever it may be. If her condition lingers for a few weeks, then consider antibiotics (or however long you decide that enough is enough). Do keep her isolated though as you don't need the problem spreading through your flock. It maybe an idea to acclimatise her to the outdoors again as soon as possible also.

Good luck

CT

Sorry, i should also have added that she may have been carrying the ailment prior to the incident and the stress and cold may have lowered her immune system and thats what could have caused the symptoms to emerge. Doesn't affect anything, but just thought i would add another thought.

All the best
CT

Back
Top Bottom