1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Chick Grit Confusion

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CitySilkies88, Mar 29, 2012.

1. CitySilkies88

CitySilkies88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2012
    NE Ohio
    So I realized today that the parakeet grit I bought the other day has calcium in it. So I went to the feed and hardware store to buy sand for the chicks. Both men at the feed store insisted that I do not need grit or sand for my chicks. Both raise chickens and currently have chicks in brooders and neither have never used grit in their brooders.

I went over to the hardware store and asked about sand I could use. And the guy who helped me out there also insisted that I do not need grit in my brooder.

Everyone here has me in such a panic that my chicks will die without it.

WTH do I do?

I feel like I have over researched to be honest.

2. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

If your chicks are eating only chick mash or starter feed then no. They also don't need grit if you feed them stuff like scrambled eggs, yogurt, banana, stuff that breaks down easily. I don't not give mine grit yet. I have had no problems. Once they go to the coop and are able to eat other thing harder to digest then yes probably a good idea, or if they are allowed to free range around the yard.

3. harbisgirl

harbisgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    N. Cal
    Glad you posted this - I'm picking up my chicks today and I was all set to pick up some grit since I forgot to buy it when I got my starter feed. Guess I don't need to worry about it for awhile :)

4. klcabe

klcabe Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2012
    Canton, NC
    It doesn't hurt to mix it in with their chick starter feed, though, right? Should I even bother?

5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Starter feed has grit in it. It's an all in one feed specifically for chicks and all they need.

6. DcSmile06

DcSmile06 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Texas
    You mentioned scrambled eggs...what about boiled eggs. I wanted to try with my month old chicks as a treat and a "getting to know you" type offering. Mine currently are only on starter feed. I wanted to give them a tomato every once in a while or lettuce. Not sure if they need grit with that too.

7. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

I don't see why not. Just mash it up a little. Just don't give them raw egg. Some believe it teaches them to eat their own eggs.

8. LilMissChz

LilMissChz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2012
    North East, Maryland
    You don't need grit with starter feed. However, mine still love to fluff, roll and play in it. In addition it seems to be a fun snack for them. I've had no problems with pasty butt or loose stools. Just seemed natural to give my peeps sand. I just did it cuz. Not because I had to.

9. mkcolls

mkcolls Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2011
    Ohio
    The starter feed that we have used from multiple sources do not have grit added. Is this specific to a certain brand of starter feed?

10. DcSmile06

DcSmile06 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2012
    Texas
    I just gave mine a slice of tomato...wanted to see how they would do before a whole tomato. They took a sec to try it then it was on. One got a good size chunk of it and was just gonna sneak off and eat it. Well, the others noticed it and ran after it. They ran around the brooder for forever. LOL It looked like Nascar in there [​IMG]. They LOVED it. Guess Ill be giving them tomatoes from here out every so often.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by