Chick Growth Chart, Smaller Breeds

chickencutie

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2010
Fort Worth
Does anyone know the average weight gain a Silver Spangled Hamburg and an Exchequer Leghorn should have? They are much smaller than their same age Cochin chick sibling. Today they are 6 weeks of age. The Hamburg weighed 280g and the leghorn was 270g. To me this seems small, but I have not raised these breeds before. In comparison, the Cochin is heftily 400g.

I looked pretty hard for a growth chart or even just parameters and found very little.

However, cochin are among the largest breeds and hamburgs are among the smallest. Leghorns are lightweights too. So I would expects a lot of difference in chick size even pretty early. And there is a lot of variance in different bloodlines of each breed.

I recommend going by how they act. If they are bright-eyed, alert, and active then no need to worry that they are noticeably smaller than the others. And making sure they aren't shorted of feed and water - that it is available and that none of the chicks are blocked or intimidated away by the others. You might need more than one feeder or waterer.

I looked pretty hard for a growth chart or even just parameters and found very little.

However, cochin are among the largest breeds and hamburgs are among the smallest. Leghorns are lightweights too. So I would expects a lot of difference in chick size even pretty early. And there is a lot of variance in different bloodlines of each breed.

I recommend going by how they act. If they are bright-eyed, alert, and active then no need to worry that they are noticeably smaller than the others. And making sure they aren't shorted of feed and water - that it is available and that none of the chicks are blocked or intimidated away by the others. You might need more than one feeder or waterer.
Thanks! She is active and eats/drinks. I worry a little because she’s not quite as active as the others, spends time standing with butt down towards the ground, doesn’t cuddle with the others af night, and is much calmer about being handled than the others. Perhaps it’s a personality thing. Technically she is gaining weight but it seems to only be about 15g per day and I’m not sure if that’s good enough or not. They get chick starter and water with nutri drench.

Back
Top Bottom