Chick has a broken leg, help!!!

Bird fanatic

Songster
May 10, 2021
So this is bumblebee who was being raised with her mother hen. I went out this morning to check on them and she was laying down not moving I think it was one of my SS hens because she is not very nice to all of the chicks. So she is now in my house and I just need ideas that could help her leg heal. She won't put any weight on it.
16261873972024380263390183901726.jpg
16261873662741141375860530922153.jpg

Hello Bird Fanatic,

I don't see any obvious breakage or deformities to the foot, so that is good. To help it heal, you could try to fashion some sort of splint if it is more deformed than the pictures show. If not, it seems best to temporarily isolate the chick while it's leg heals, especially if you're worried about the other chickens and other chicks pecking at her.

If she is not able to move very much, make sure that her food and water is next to her, and if it's cooler in your house and she needs a heat lamp, make sure she isn't in the direct heat too long or out of the heat lamps range.

I hope that helps and I hope little Bumblebee starts feeling better soon!

Hello Bird Fanatic,

I don't see any obvious breakage or deformities to the foot, so that is good. To help it heal, you could try to fashion some sort of splint if it is more deformed than the pictures show. If not, it seems best to temporarily isolate the chick while it's leg heals, especially if you're worried about the other chickens and other chicks pecking at her.

If she is not able to move very much, make sure that her food and water is next to her, and if it's cooler in your house and she needs a heat lamp, make sure she isn't in the direct heat too long or out of the heat lamps range.

I hope that helps and I hope little Bumblebee starts feeling better soon!
Me to she is very active but just can't walk well so I have hope that she will get better

Back
Top Bottom