Chick has pasty butt and is weak

Roger98

Songster
Mar 16, 2018
I just ordered 20 chicks and all of them are doing great except for one who I've just noticed now had a very plugged up rear end with diarrhea. I soaked her butt well but now she's so weak she doesn't want to stand. She won't stop peeping. I don't know if she's in pain and I'm not sure what to do. Her poop is very yellow and runny. She was eating and drinking yesterday

How old are they now? Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench and give the chick a couple of drops orally? Dip her beak into water several times letting her swallow. Is she warm enough? What is your brooder temperature? She sounds like she is suffering from shipping stress, which can cause pasty butt and weakness. It may be too late to save her, but if you can get some electrolytes and fluids into her, she might improve. The diarrhea is worrisome.

How old are they now? Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench and give the chick a couple of drops orally? Dip her beak into water several times letting her swallow. Is she warm enough? What is your brooder temperature? She sounds like she is suffering from shipping stress, which can cause pasty butt and weakness. It may be too late to save her, but if you can get some electrolytes and fluids into her, she might improve. The diarrhea is worrisome.

I gave her the electrolyte water mix with a dropper as much as a could and have her under her own heat seperate from the others. I don't have anything to check the temperature of the brooder atm. Should i try to wet some food and force her to eat?
Edit: they're only a few days old

Last edited:
I would offer it to her by holding her besk to the food and dipping it gently. If she will not eat, dip her beak into the water, and get her to swallow. Take a little wet food into a dropper and just put a drop into her beak, and let her try to eat. If she won’t do not force food. Fluids are more important right now. Are the other chicks standing under the light or away from it, and is it big enough to have a cooler area to get to?

I gave her the electrolyte water mix with a dropper as much as a could and have her under her own heat seperate from the others. I don't have anything to check the temperature of the brooder atm. Should i try to wet some food and force her to eat?
Edit: they're only a few days old[/QU
I would offer it to her by holding her besk to the food and dipping it gently. If she will not eat, dip her beak into the water, and get her to swallow. Take a little wet food into a dropper and just put a drop into her beak, and let her try to eat. If she won’t do not force food. Fluids are more important right now. Are the other chicks standing under the light or away from it, and is it big enough to have a cooler area to get to?

Right now they are all eating and running around. They sleep spaced apart not on top of each other and not far away from the light. Which i assume means its just right.

She stood up on her own and moved away from the light i have on her, I've been monitoring her shes been picking her head up and looking around every so often. I will see if she takes food of she doesnt I'll keep trying to get her to drink

Definitely keep her isolated with food/water available all the time. Make sure you get a thermometer for the brooder. $6.00 at Tractor supply. It is important to have the temperature 90-95 degrees first week and wean by 5 every 5-7 days till at 65-70 then off if doing well and feathered out. If chick not eating keep hand feeding and showing the food/water. Also keep electrolytes going in water. If still pasty butt. Keep cleaning bottom with wet paper towel and apply Vaseline to vent to prevent pasty butt till clears vent on own. Stool consistency should pick up. Good Luck! :)

I left her be to have my dinner and when i came back she'd already passed. I thought she was getting better. But thank you all for the help anyway, i really appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom