Chick has round blob stuck to bottom

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lady Chickadee, May 23, 2012.

1. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    I hatched out a d'Uccle chick that has a weird round thing attached to its bottom. I don't know what it is and the chick seems to be acting fine. He/she is still in the incubator because I'm afraid that if I put it in the brooder the other chicks will try to peck at it. This hatch didn't do so well I had 6 eggs not hatch (these were not shipped eggs) and it looks like they all died in the shell all around the same time in lock down.Humidity and temperature were fine. Five of the eggs were d'Uccle eggs. The blob on the chick doesn't feel like its filled with anything. I pressed on it and it went down and then came back up like it has air inside of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Looks like yolk to me- sould go into the body- you might have to help some how- look up 'unabsorbed yolk'

oh and how old is the chick?

3. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    It hatched out last night. Thanks!

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Songster

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    That's just a tiny bit of unabsorbed yolk. Leave him in the incubator for an extra day and it should dry up.

5. Lady Chickadee

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Thanks! I had one a while back with unabsorbed yolk but it looked different than that and it was weaker. Hopefully this one will do better than the last one. [​IMG]

6. RonC

RonC Songster

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Back to the incubater for a day would be easiest. Could setup a seperate brooder but not worth it for a day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: