Chick hatched 3 days early???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by The Knitting Medic, Jun 13, 2017.

1. The Knitting Medic

The Knitting Medic New Egg

Jun 13, 2017
    Alberta, Canada
    I am fairly new to hatching eggs, I'm only on my 5th hatch and last night had a surprise when I went to take my eggies out of the turner, one of my eggs hatched :eek:(The chick so far seems to be big & healthy) Normally most of my eggs will hatch on day 20 with a few stragglers on day 21. I am guessing that my incubator temperature is to high?? Should I be concerned enough about this to figure out how to change the temperature on my incubator?

2. IZZYBELLA

IZZYBELLA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2013
    Maine
    I've never hatched with an incubator, but a chick hatched on day 19 under a broody and was totally fine. (I wasn't miscounting I swear!) Another brood of chicks hatched on day 20. Again, I have no experience with incubators, but early hatches happen under broodies, too!

3. JS69135

JS69135 Out Of The Brooder Premium Member

Jun 8, 2016
    Either too hot or maybe the egg was laid a day earlier? Or may there is a third option... a very precocious chick?!

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There are a lot of different reasons an egg can hatch that much earlier than the others, either under a broody hen or in an incubator. It's possible your incubator had a warm spot, but heredity, how and how long an egg was stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in individual eggs. maybe it was stored a bit warm so incubation actually started early for it. An egg will develop some in the 80's Fahrenheit, just not much and it can't sustain development.

I've had a chick hatch early like that before. Recently one chick hatched about two days early. No other egg even pipped for a full 24 hours, then when I woke up the next morning the remaining 16 were out of the shell. Each egg is unique, each hatch is unique.

Sometimes I have entire hatches two full days early, either under a broody or in the incubator. Occasionally they are right on time. With mine I think it is heredity. That 21 day thing is a general target, not something written in stone.

If you are getting good hatches I would not change a thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

The Knitting Medic likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by