Chick hatched 3 days early???

The Knitting Medic

In the Brooder
Jun 13, 2017
Alberta, Canada
I am fairly new to hatching eggs, I'm only on my 5th hatch and last night had a surprise when I went to take my eggies out of the turner, one of my eggs hatched :eek:(The chick so far seems to be big & healthy) Normally most of my eggs will hatch on day 20 with a few stragglers on day 21. I am guessing that my incubator temperature is to high?? Should I be concerned enough about this to figure out how to change the temperature on my incubator?

IZZYBELLA

Songster
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
Maine
I've never hatched with an incubator, but a chick hatched on day 19 under a broody and was totally fine. (I wasn't miscounting I swear!) Another brood of chicks hatched on day 20. Again, I have no experience with incubators, but early hatches happen under broodies, too!

JS69135

Songster
Jun 8, 2016
Either too hot or maybe the egg was laid a day earlier? Or may there is a third option... a very precocious chick?!

Ridgerunner

Crossing the Road
11 Years
Feb 2, 2009
Southeast Louisiana
There are a lot of different reasons an egg can hatch that much earlier than the others, either under a broody hen or in an incubator. It's possible your incubator had a warm spot, but heredity, how and how long an egg was stored before incubation started, and just basic differences in individual eggs. maybe it was stored a bit warm so incubation actually started early for it. An egg will develop some in the 80's Fahrenheit, just not much and it can't sustain development.

I've had a chick hatch early like that before. Recently one chick hatched about two days early. No other egg even pipped for a full 24 hours, then when I woke up the next morning the remaining 16 were out of the shell. Each egg is unique, each hatch is unique.

Sometimes I have entire hatches two full days early, either under a broody or in the incubator. Occasionally they are right on time. With mine I think it is heredity. That 21 day thing is a general target, not something written in stone.

If you are getting good hatches I would not change a thing. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Top Bottom