Chick hatched early. Need advice ASAP!

Yes leave the little one for sure! I can’t imagine she’ll leave the nest especially if she has chicks hatching/pipping at a decent rate. If she does get up and up for good make sure none of the remaining eggs are pipped if they are you can help them hatch your self with a heat lamp, a wash cloth, waiting and non sharp tweezers.
Ok. I’m just going to make sure to watch her closely.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not the peeping of hatched chicks encourages the other eggs to hatch even if they have not reached day 21

Heres another picture for the people that asked

Attachments

• FD9EED52-7E48-4768-9A2C-48DCA81E6304.jpeg
    FD9EED52-7E48-4768-9A2C-48DCA81E6304.jpeg
    445.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Update—two have hatched. There are 6 other eggs. I candled them and they look like they still have a few more days from the pictures and diagrams I’ve seen. I just hope she stays on the eggs long enough. They were all due to hatch Sunday, but somehow she must have gotten eggs that I didn’t see that started earlier. If anyone else has any suggestions or similar story’s I would like to hear them.

2 baby’s have hatched and the third is almost hatched. There are 5 more eggs and none have pipped. They are all fertile though. Mom and to of the baby’s were off the nest when I got home. I put her back on cause the third chick is hatching. The eggs were not cold but they were also not warm. I don’t know if she will stay on long enough for the other eggs. Any advice ?? I’m hoping with the combination of the upcoming 90 degree Fahrenheit day’s and the mother sitting for all night that the other eggs will have a chance. I’m up for any advice

Not sure if baby three will make it. It hatched but doesn’t look like it’s absorbed all of the yolk

Final Update for anyone who was involved!!! We had a good ending. Last week our broody hen hatched 3 chicks on Tuesday and Wednesday. She had 5 more eggs after that. I took out one bad egg. On Wednesday afternoon the 3rd chick hatched after she already left the nest. It was small as it did not absorb the yolk but it was fine. On Thursday she took all of her chicks out. I checked the eggs at around lunch to find them all cold. I left the eggs in there and on Friday I heard a peep. Well I had to go to work and came home to find her off the nest with the first chicks and the eggs were cold. However one had began to pip. I locked her up a few hours early on Friday so she would stay on the eggs. I checked the eggs before I went to bed and three had peeped externally. I was very surprised because she did not stay on them during the day. When I woke up Saturday the 4th chick had pipped. So I did not let her off the nest. She wanted out but I also wanted to give the eggs a chance. A few hours later on Saturday none had made any progress. I made the decision to help them hatch as I could not force her to stay on her nest in the heat with 3 chicks for much longer. I peeled off the shell very carefully leaving the 2 membranes after the shell. Well the chicks still made no progess. I then decided to just help them hatch and peeled the inner membranes. I helped each chick and they seemed healthy. I then put them under their mom to dry. I ended up keeping her locked up all of Saturday so the chicks could dry. I did let her out before I locked them up for the night so she could get energy out and so her chicks could go outside. On Sunday I let her and the 7 chicks out. She was a little rough when digging and looking for food and would sometimes kick one but they learned to stay out of the way. The only issue was that all of her chicks were the simmilar in color but one and she was probably confused going from 3 to 7 chicks. And the one with a different color she picked on so I had to separate it and another to keep it company. Anyways she’s doing good with the 5, and the other 2 are good in the brooder.

Back
Top Bottom