chick hatched in the cold, ANY ADVICE?

chadchicago

In the Brooder
12 Years
Sep 13, 2007
One of my birds was all broody for the past couple weeks, and I left her out there in the coop on the eggs just to see what would happen. (I've had chickens for a while but never tried to hatch any)

This morning there was one dead chick, two unhatched eggs, and a live baby chick in the nest.

It is VERY cold out there in the coop (I'm in chicago) but I know that chick has to eat at some point and theres no way it will survive NOvember in Chicago.

Should I move the mama, the two unhatched eggs, and the live chick all together into someplace warm?

If I move the whole setup and put chick starter in the cage with them will the baby chick just eat when its ready and survive?

Anything I should watch out for?

Thanks!

I'm not sure....I am in Michigan and its suppose to be warm the next few days. Watch the one that hatched and after the others hatch then take them to a warmer place? I haven't hatched eggs this time of year before.

It is supposed to be warm the next couple days here too, but not nearly warm enough
tongue.png

Could you put a heat lamp between them and the chick food?
I woul guess that as long as he stays under momma, he'll be fine, but he has to leave momma to go eat...

Otherwise, I'd take the baby in the house (or garage).

Not that I'd know for sure, but it seems to me that a mother hen could/will keep one or two chicks warm enough even in the worst of cold weather. Personally, I would not worry about it. The hen brought the "problem" on; let her worry about it.

Just a quick update. Hen and chick are doing great. One egg left that may hatch.

My current plan is to keep them in this little pen I setup in the garage, until the chick is too big to be kept warm by the hen. By then it will be hitting dangerously low temps even in the garage so I'll prob just move the chick inside or into the basement until spring.

Any of you more experienced folks have any input on that?

Back
Top Bottom