Chick hatched out with "strange" down???

Jakl

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 26, 2012
Not sure if this goes here, or in the chicks section... Mods, feel free to move it.

I hatched out 50 + chicks a week ago. Only lost the one to the at the time, so we are doing good now. They are all thriving.

However, one little guy has the strangest down. It almost looks singed, or burnt???? The down is very short, and almost prickly. his wing feathers are coming in fine, as far as I can tell, but his head, back, and neck are not fluffy like the others. At first, I thought he just didn't fluff up correctly in the bator, but a week later, and after studying him awhile, his down is wrong???

Anybody know what's going on?

When you say singed, do you also mean discolored? It could be that he hit a vein on his way out, and got some blood on his fluff. That would turn it brown and mat it. Maybe try to give him a gentle scrub with a warm wet washcloth?

Not sure if this goes here, or in the chicks section... Mods, feel free to move it.

I hatched out 50 + chicks a week ago. Only lost the one to the at the time, so we are doing good now. They are all thriving.

However, one little guy has the strangest down. It almost looks singed, or burnt???? The down is very short, and almost prickly. his wing feathers are coming in fine, as far as I can tell, but his head, back, and neck are not fluffy like the others. At first, I thought he just didn't fluff up correctly in the bator, but a week later, and after studying him awhile, his down is wrong???

Anybody know what's going on?

cold it be a frizzle? or sizzle? what breeds are the chicks?

this was a mutt batch of ameraucana, EE, and hatchery RIR. He is black, the funky down doesn't show up on pictures. he has sparse down, and the ends of it are "burnt hair" looking, does that make sense???

I don't have any frizzle, sizzle(??? what are they???), or silkie in my flock (that I know of, some are from the hatchery).

Sizzles are (I believe) Frizzled Silkies. However, breeding a frizzle to a frizzle can cause feather deformities in the resulting chicks.. perhaps this is what happened with yours?

this was a mutt batch of ameraucana, EE, and hatchery RIR. He is black, the funky down doesn't show up on pictures. he has sparse down, and the ends of it are "burnt hair" looking, does that make sense???

I don't have any frizzle, sizzle(??? what are they???), or silkie in my flock (that I know of, some are from the hatchery).

I have had two out of about 2000 do that and I have no idea why. They feather out normally but you are right their chick down looks singed and strange looking. Both of mine have had a gold shiny glow to them also, but it goes away and they feather out just like the other birds.

Lanae

Thank you all for chiming in. I think cashdi probably had the best answer.... LOL. Happened to me too. But IDK what caused it either, the chicken grew up fine... (LOOSELY paraphrased :)

I had one hatch similar to this as well, but he has other issues and died a few weeks later. His one eye wasn't quite right, and he was just kinda lop-sided?? Not sure that makes sense. But that's the best way to describe that chick.

This one seems normal, except for the down. His wing feathers are coming in, and I think they look normal so far. I'll try to remember to let you know.

Found this old thread while searching for an answer to why I have a chick with strange down. Its down is shiny gold and not as fluffy, more like hair. The chick acts cold and shakes all the time. Just curious what is going on. It is an Orpington chick.

Back
Top Bottom