chick hatched with bloody yolk hanging out, please help

I currently have it in the brooder so I'm worried because it seems to be drying out and sticking to the paper towel a little. I still can't tell what's hanging out of its naval but I'm kind of worried that if it sticks to the paper towel the chick will try to move and yank more stuff out of the naval? makes me sick thinking about it but I have no idea what to do.

😬 Oh dear, ok you definitely don't want it drying to the paper towel because your concerns are warranted and possible. The moist environment of the Incubator will sometimes allow enough time for the chick to finish absorbing the yolk sac but not if it's drying. Does the navel look like it sealed around the exposed bits or like it's still open?

I'm sad to say that it's died :( I don't think it was possible for it to survive with all that stuff hanging out. I have no idea what happened to cause such a terrible hatch but at least the two that I have seem to be doing okay

:hugs I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes even when we do everything we can they just don't make it.

If you haven't done so already, I would get a little meat thermometer or some other thermometer that can be submerged and calibrated to check against your other thermometers to make sure everything is set correctly and consider running the humidity lower for the first 18 days of Incubation so they can lose more weight. Both can cause hatching early or with unabsorbed yolk sac. The blood leads me think it's more likely to be the temperature. Did they hatch early?

Shipping can cause all sorts of unusual hatching issues as well from the rough handling they often experience before even getting to you. I'm sorry this was such a rough hatch for you!

Does anyone know what I should do to at least give the chick a better chance of surviving? Should I let the yolk dry up? Should I keep it moist? The chick seems okay but it doesn't look like its absorbed anything.

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry. There isn't anything you can do to rush the process, it looks like the chick was still trying to absorb the blood vessels in the membrane as well as the yolk sac. Having it in the separate container and giving it time in the Incubator is all that can be done at the moment. Hopefully it will finish absorbing the yolk sac. :fl
I currently have it in the brooder so I'm worried because it seems to be drying out and sticking to the paper towel a little. I still can't tell what's hanging out of its naval but I'm kind of worried that if it sticks to the paper towel the chick will try to move and yank more stuff out of the naval? makes me sick thinking about it but I have no idea what to do.

:hugs I'm so sorry for your loss. Sometimes even when we do everything we can they just don't make it.

If you haven't done so already, I would get a little meat thermometer or some other thermometer that can be submerged and calibrated to check against your other thermometers to make sure everything is set correctly and consider running the humidity lower for the first 18 days of Incubation so they can lose more weight. Both can cause hatching early or with unabsorbed yolk sac. The blood leads me think it's more likely to be the temperature. Did they hatch early?

Shipping can cause all sorts of unusual hatching issues as well from the rough handling they often experience before even getting to you. I'm sorry this was such a rough hatch for you!
thank you, hopefully I can figure out what went wrong and correct it next time. I will try getting a meat thermometer, I've looked around online but never ordered one because I saw too many reviews saying it was inaccurate but that makes sense so I could calibrate it. They hatched right on time, I'd be surprised if the issue was humidity because I kept it quite low and the air cells were right on, but I will be extra careful next time. Maybe I will try the weight loss method. As far as temp the highest either of my thermometers ever read was 102 for short periods of time, and the lowest was 97. Otherwise they stayed around 99-100, I was excited because it was so consistent. I had turned them, maybe not enough? I only did around 3-4 times a day, but I've read you can do more.

Thank you for all the advice and trying to help the little guy :)

thank you, hopefully I can figure out what went wrong and correct it next time. I will try getting a meat thermometer, I've looked around online but never ordered one because I saw too many reviews saying it was inaccurate but that makes sense so I could calibrate it. They hatched right on time, I'd be surprised if the issue was humidity because I kept it quite low and the air cells were right on, but I will be extra careful next time. Maybe I will try the weight loss method. As far as temp the highest either of my thermometers ever read was 102 for short periods of time, and the lowest was 97. Otherwise they stayed around 99-100, I was excited because it was so consistent. I had turned them, maybe not enough? I only did around 3-4 times a day, but I've read you can do more.

Thank you for all the advice and trying to help the little guy :)

I like this meat thermometer at Walmart. I've been using it for years to calibrate my cheapo digital thermometers. You actually want this small inexpensive meat thermometer because the gauge goes from 0°F - 220°F, the larger one at Walmart doesn't show anything below 120°F so it's not useful for this application. There are also instructions on the back of this meat thermometer on how to calibrate it using the melted ice method but the link just below goes into a more in-depth description on how to calibrate.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Instant-Read-Meat-Thermometer-00997/14913174

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...incubator-thermometers-and-hygrometers.73634/

1617986428227.png

Sometimes bizarre things like this happen and there isn't an easy explanation. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom