Chick hatched with it's insides outside

BarredRock21

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 8, 2010
Three Serama's came out overnight and are looking well. A standard chick hatched next, but it's insides are hanging out of it, you can clearly see the formed intestines and various parts. This is my first hatch and there are 3 chicks yet to show themselves. I do not know if I should risk opening our incubator to remove this chick from the others. I am concerned as the little guys are pecking at the guts and I don't know what that might cause. I'm concerned about bacteria, and ventilation with all this bloody mess sitting on the mesh for all of them to walk through. I would cull this chick if I could, but don't want to risk them all by opening the incubator. Any advice? The inside of the incubator is very moist, there are moisture droplets on the window. Should I poke a hole and drain out the water from the incubator now that they are hatching and need to dry?

Yes, I would take him out and cull him. If someone could lift the lid of the bator up for you while you quickly lift him out and give a quick spritz with warm water if you are concerned about losing humidity. Or you could turn the shower on and do it in the bathroom. Sorry you are having to deal with this, its never fun.

Always get the chick out. I take them out all the time, especially in situations like this where the others will just kill it anyway. With actual guts on the outside, it cannot live. We have pushed them back in and super-glued the two sides of the opening shut, but it takes a very delicate hand and you cannot be sure you got them back inside undamaged. Best to euthanize it.

Back
Top Bottom